Yankees, Damon negotiating

Dec 10, 2009, 10:44 AM EDT

Buster Olney tweets that the Yankees and “Johnny Damon’s camp” are currently negotiating.  By “Johnny Damon’s camp” he’d have to mean Boras, right? Which is funny because, given that no one declared a no-fly zone or sprinkled flower petals around the Marriott this morning, I assumed he wasn’t here.  Maybe he used his commission from the A-Rod extension to build one of them Star Trek transporters or something.

Anyway, given the Granderson deal, you have to assume that Johnny Damon has assumed a greater commitment to negotiating with the Yankees.  No one thinks anything will happen here today — the line for cabs to the airport is getting long as I type this — but one definitely gets the sense that New York wants their team set up by Christmas.

1. Old Gator - Dec 10, 2009 at 11:01 AM

I kind of enjoyed my trip via the Star Trek transporter system, but only after they assured me that it was an improved model that wouldn’t scramble my DNA with the fly that got caught in the beam.
    Pardon me now, I just cought a whiff of methane and I want to go check out the source….

2. TigerS Boy ToY - Dec 10, 2009 at 11:31 AM

I said yesterday that THE CASH-MAN WAS NOT GOING TO SIP ON THE SCOTT BORAS KOOL AID, HE POCKETED GRANDERSON JUST LIKE HE POCKETED SWISH-IE AHEAD OF SIGNING TEX LAST YEAR.SO BORAS WILL NOT BE GETTING 4 YEARS@ 60 MILLION NO MATTER HOW MUCH HE RUNS AROUND TELLING PEOPLE DAMON IS JUST AS IMPORTANT AS JETER IS- ROLL EYES NOW-. YOU WILL NO LONGER BE ALOUD TO COLLECT YANKEES MONIES LIKE CARL PAVANO DID, SCOTT KNOW’S CASH-MAN HAS NO USE FOR HIM AND HIS FANCY PLAYERS PROFILE WITH THE GRAPHS AND PRETYY COLORS MADE BY
    FED-EX KINKOS.CASH-MAN DISMISSED HIM DURING THE A-ROD OPT OUT AND A-ROD HAD TO DEAL WITH HANK ONE ON ONE.
    I DON’T THINK SCOTT GET’S A DIME ON THE EXTENSION, A-ROD DID HIS OWN NEGOTIATING.
    DID SCOTT FORGET DAMON HAD TO BE REPLACED IN GAME SIX BECAUSE OF A BAD MUSCLE IN HIS LOWER LEG.DAMONS PRICE IS DROPPING.

3. YankeesfanLen - Dec 10, 2009 at 12:03 PM

2 years, $23M if you want my opinion. When did comeonman move to Motor City? I’ll take HOMOPHONES for $400, Alex.

4. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Dec 10, 2009 at 12:40 PM

It’s funny, as if he thinks we all don’t recognize who he is by his misuse of the capslock key.
    2/23 isn’t bad, and you could push melky to LF with Damon DH’ing, and rotate the crew around when someone else needed a rest. While Granderson/Melky/Damon is a slight UG over Damon/Matsui/Melky-Gardner, but it’s a decent financial relief for the yanks assuming they don’t go nuts with Damon’s new contract.

5. brian - Dec 10, 2009 at 1:59 PM

C’mon cashman Sign damon he means a lot to this ball club. He is as solid as they come at the number 2 hole and even with the Granderson deal i still like Damon over him hitting in the Number 2 hole. damon gets on base more and doesn’t strike out as much. 2 years 22 million. lets do it.

6. JudyJ - Dec 10, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Yankee fans want Damon back – at a reasonable price Let’s face it, they all want to be Yankees. He is older, and he isn’t Jeter but he is still good. Where else can he go anyway and be happy? Boston? LOL

7. Ladyfan - Dec 10, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Oh the Demon man had best NOT be thinking he can come on back to Boston. Once you defect to the pin stripes, you are persona non grata here in Beantown. Even if he miraculously developed a throwing arm at this late state of his game, it would still be a no go.
    No, Judy, I’m afraid you will have to keep him . . . we don’t want him at any price, including free.

8. Yankeetony XBIGAPPLE - Dec 10, 2009 at 9:06 PM

FAGEDABOUIT, J.D. IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE BUT BACK TO WEARING THE
    PINSTRIPES. HE’S MADE HIS MONEY OVER THE YEARS AND FOR A LOUSEY FEW
    SCHEKLES MORE CASH SHOULD PAY IT AND GET SET TO HANG NUMBER 28 ON THE RAFTERS. DO WE WANT ROY H. WHY NOT, MR HENRY OF BEANTOWN CALLED
    US THE ‘EVIL EMPIRE’ SO WHAT WHO WOULDN’T WANT ROY H. THEY HAVE THE
    MONEY BUT THEY ARE CHEAP SKATES, HE’S CASHMANS XMAS PRESENT TO ALL YANKEE FANS. HAVE A GREAT MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL. TONY

9. David Salz - Dec 11, 2009 at 6:43 AM

The Yankees must sign Damon. Reminds me of pete Rose. Also sign Matsu. Here is the Yankees line up on opening day. Jeter, Damon, Texiera,Rodrigize,Matsu as the DH, Granderson, Posada,Cano,Cabera.Pitching- Sabatia, Burnett, Pettite,Hughes, Gaudin maybe Wang. Relief- Rivera, Richardson,Chamberlain,Aceves. If this isnt the best team in baseball. Wow!

10. XTrust_No1X - Dec 11, 2009 at 12:13 PM

By getting Johnny Damon signed on board the 27 time World Series Champion, looking for number 28 express, they can then consentrate on trading for and signing the missing pieces to their pitching rotation, namly adding Roy Halladay and John Lackey to their rotation, and maybe adding the best relievers availible, then, the 2010 Yankees Express to their next step in their newest Dynasty will be complete. Sorry, Matsui, It was great while you’re legs lasted, but, The Yankees need your DH spot, to give Jeter, Posada and A-Rod days off in the field, so, you’re the odd man out! Best of luck to you, and don’t let the door hit you on the ass on the way out! Now, here comes the 2010 World Series, I already have my tickets punched, and my place reserved in the front row of seats in front of New York City Hall so I can watch the World Series Champion New York Yankees get their 28th set of Keys to the Greatest City in the World!

11. XTrust_No1X - Dec 11, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Then, after the Yankees win the 2010 World Series, sadly, the legendary New York Yankee & future Hall of Famer Andy Pettite will anouce his retirement, thus opening a spot on the Legendary New York Yankees rotation that will be quickly filled by our next big free agent splash in the signing of Cliff Lee. Then maybe the Yankees can sign Josh Beckett, and instead of adding him to the Yankees roster, they can bury him down in the minors where that big mouth will never be heard from again! YES, I know its a waste of money, but, after all, it’s only money, and the YES Network Vault has an over abundance of funds to spend, so, what better way of making a statement! OH, I’d die happy in purgatory! As the wise man Paulie Walnuts once stated, “as far as eternity goes, my sentence of 6000 years in purgatory, I can do that standing on my head”, if the Yankees signed and buried Beckett in the minors, I’d be laughing my ass off all the while standing on my head!!! Hahaha

12. Hobert - Dec 11, 2009 at 6:47 PM

I hope Damon stayes with the Yankees,He is a really good baseball player.

13. David - Dec 12, 2009 at 4:47 AM

The Yankees should sign Damon and Matsui. They can both be signed for two year contracts. If the Yankees want another two pennents and world championships they shouldnt make the mistakes of the early 2000s when they got rid of some older quality players who were part of the ealier yankee championships.These Two players are made to be yankees and are great hustlers and winners. Matsui can still hit and its ridiculus to think that Damon can play another two years of decent right field. Posada and Jeter and Damon can all play DH to rest Matsui and give themselves a rest but lets not make everybody to old before they are.Also if Matsui thinks he can play some outfield then I guess he knows best. Give a chance a bit to matsui and he can rest Damon in right field. The Yankees dont need to make any pitching trades. They have an excellent staff for next year after signing pettit.

14. internet connection problem - Jan 14, 2010 at 9:55 AM

I’m impressed, I found this on Yahoo looking for something completely different, and now I’m gonna have to go all the archives! So much for spare time this morning, but this was a great find.

Don't count out the Yankees just yet
  1. R. Castillo (4710)