Dec 10, 2009, 9:05 AM EST
I’ll level with you: I don’t know most of the guys in the Rule 5 draft. But you don’t either, so we’re all in this together. I’ll pass along what people who know more than us say about whatever goes down.
First up: the Yankees — picking first because the Nats sent them the pick in the Brian Bruney deal on Monday — are going to take Jamie Hoffman. He’s an outfielder from the Dodgers’ organization.
Descriptions of Hoffman buzzing around here: “His ceiling is as a fifth outfielder.” “a stronger, slower Brett Gardner.” If that doesn’t excite you, Yankees fans, I don’t know what will.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)