Dec 11, 2009, 12:46 PM EDT
UPDATE: The deal is now official. It’s 1-year, $7.25 million.
12-10-09, 12:21 P.M.
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal reports that the trade sending Rafael Soriano from Atlanta to Tampa Bay is all but completed after the Rays worked out a one-year deal worth around $7 million with Soriano.
Tampa Bay wanted to get a contract finalized rather than risk going to arbitration with Soriano, because at that point his 2010 salary would be largely out of the Rays’ hands. Atlanta wanted to shed Soriano’s salary after he surprisingly accepted the Braves’ arbitration offer, and in doing so pick up a fairly generic middle reliever in Jesse Chavez.
While costly, Soriano is a huge addition to the Rays’ bullpen after saving 27 games with a 2.97 ERA, 102/27 K/BB ratio, and .194 opponents’ batting average over 75.2 innings in 2009. When healthy he’s among the most dominant pitchers in baseball and forms an excellent righty-lefty combo with J.P. Howell. Soriano figures to take over as the full-time closer after Howell led the team with just 17 saves and eight other Rays notched at least one. Very nice move for Tampa Bay.
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 8
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 34
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (113)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)