Dec 11, 2009, 12:46 PM EDT
UPDATE: The deal is now official. It’s 1-year, $7.25 million.
12-10-09, 12:21 P.M.
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal reports that the trade sending Rafael Soriano from Atlanta to Tampa Bay is all but completed after the Rays worked out a one-year deal worth around $7 million with Soriano.
Tampa Bay wanted to get a contract finalized rather than risk going to arbitration with Soriano, because at that point his 2010 salary would be largely out of the Rays’ hands. Atlanta wanted to shed Soriano’s salary after he surprisingly accepted the Braves’ arbitration offer, and in doing so pick up a fairly generic middle reliever in Jesse Chavez.
While costly, Soriano is a huge addition to the Rays’ bullpen after saving 27 games with a 2.97 ERA, 102/27 K/BB ratio, and .194 opponents’ batting average over 75.2 innings in 2009. When healthy he’s among the most dominant pitchers in baseball and forms an excellent righty-lefty combo with J.P. Howell. Soriano figures to take over as the full-time closer after Howell led the team with just 17 saves and eight other Rays notched at least one. Very nice move for Tampa Bay.
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 2
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 53
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 29
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 37
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 8
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (105)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)