Dec 11, 2009, 4:30 PM EST
Sources told FOXSports.com that the Indians and Blue Jays are looking at free agent Marcus Thames.
Thames, who was released by the Tigers after six seasons in Detroit, would likely sign cheap if it meant getting a chance to play regularly. The soon-to-be 33-year-old has a career 797 OPS in 1,549 at-bats and he’s an adequate defensive left fielder, so he probably wouldn’t be a brutal starter. However, he has been considerably better versus lefties (.256/.329/.516) than against righties (.234/.292/.474). It’s a big reason why his career high for at-bats is 348.
As a result, he makes more sense as a platoon player and fallback than as an Opening Day starter. He’d be a great fit in Toronto as protection for the left-handed-hitting Travis Snider. The Indians might be better off with a left-handed hitter as their Matt LaPorta insurance.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)