Dec 11, 2009, 8:59 PM EST
*Jose Arredondo will have Tommy John surgery and miss the 2010 season, a source told ESPN”s Jorge Arangure.
That explains his struggles. Arredondo burst onto the scene with 10 wins and a 1.62 ERA out of the pen in 2008, but he came in at 6.00 in 45 innings during a dreadful 2009. With Arredondo out of the mix, the Angels don’t have many quality bullpen options behind Brian Fuentes and Kevin Jepsen right now. Scot Shields should be back, but he’s not what he was, and Jason Bulger still could go either way. Then it’s Matt Palmer, Dustin Moseley, Trevor Bell, Rafael Rodriguez and Fernando Rodriguez. Darren O’Day sure would look nice in that mix right about now.
*The Diamondbacks have brought back utilityman Augie Ojeda on a one-year, $825,000 contract.
We’ll see several little signings over the next day, as teams give arbitration-eligible players take-it-or-leave-it offers prior to the Saturday night non-tender deadline. The Diamondbacks wanted Ojeda back, but not badly enough to go to arbitration with him. Since he was willing to accept a modest $112,500 raise, he will return in his reserve role and play behind Stephen Drew and maybe Ryan Roberts at second base. Ojeda, 35, hit .246/.340/.345 in 264 at-bats last season.
*The Mets re-signed Elmer Dessens to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
Dessens had a 3.31 ERA in 32 2/3 innings out of the pen for the Mets last season, but he was used in such low leverage situations that he never received a decision in his 28 appearances, 24 of which came in losses. While he’s still a useful guy to have around as Triple-A depth, it will be a bad sign if he breaks camp with the Mets.
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 0
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 26
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40