Dec 11, 2009, 8:59 PM EDT
*Jose Arredondo will have Tommy John surgery and miss the 2010 season, a source told ESPN”s Jorge Arangure.
That explains his struggles. Arredondo burst onto the scene with 10 wins and a 1.62 ERA out of the pen in 2008, but he came in at 6.00 in 45 innings during a dreadful 2009. With Arredondo out of the mix, the Angels don’t have many quality bullpen options behind Brian Fuentes and Kevin Jepsen right now. Scot Shields should be back, but he’s not what he was, and Jason Bulger still could go either way. Then it’s Matt Palmer, Dustin Moseley, Trevor Bell, Rafael Rodriguez and Fernando Rodriguez. Darren O’Day sure would look nice in that mix right about now.
*The Diamondbacks have brought back utilityman Augie Ojeda on a one-year, $825,000 contract.
We’ll see several little signings over the next day, as teams give arbitration-eligible players take-it-or-leave-it offers prior to the Saturday night non-tender deadline. The Diamondbacks wanted Ojeda back, but not badly enough to go to arbitration with him. Since he was willing to accept a modest $112,500 raise, he will return in his reserve role and play behind Stephen Drew and maybe Ryan Roberts at second base. Ojeda, 35, hit .246/.340/.345 in 264 at-bats last season.
*The Mets re-signed Elmer Dessens to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
Dessens had a 3.31 ERA in 32 2/3 innings out of the pen for the Mets last season, but he was used in such low leverage situations that he never received a decision in his 28 appearances, 24 of which came in losses. While he’s still a useful guy to have around as Triple-A depth, it will be a bad sign if he breaks camp with the Mets.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 2
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 44
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 86
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)