Dec 11, 2009, 8:59 PM EDT
*Jose Arredondo will have Tommy John surgery and miss the 2010 season, a source told ESPN”s Jorge Arangure.
That explains his struggles. Arredondo burst onto the scene with 10 wins and a 1.62 ERA out of the pen in 2008, but he came in at 6.00 in 45 innings during a dreadful 2009. With Arredondo out of the mix, the Angels don’t have many quality bullpen options behind Brian Fuentes and Kevin Jepsen right now. Scot Shields should be back, but he’s not what he was, and Jason Bulger still could go either way. Then it’s Matt Palmer, Dustin Moseley, Trevor Bell, Rafael Rodriguez and Fernando Rodriguez. Darren O’Day sure would look nice in that mix right about now.
*The Diamondbacks have brought back utilityman Augie Ojeda on a one-year, $825,000 contract.
We’ll see several little signings over the next day, as teams give arbitration-eligible players take-it-or-leave-it offers prior to the Saturday night non-tender deadline. The Diamondbacks wanted Ojeda back, but not badly enough to go to arbitration with him. Since he was willing to accept a modest $112,500 raise, he will return in his reserve role and play behind Stephen Drew and maybe Ryan Roberts at second base. Ojeda, 35, hit .246/.340/.345 in 264 at-bats last season.
*The Mets re-signed Elmer Dessens to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
Dessens had a 3.31 ERA in 32 2/3 innings out of the pen for the Mets last season, but he was used in such low leverage situations that he never received a decision in his 28 appearances, 24 of which came in losses. While he’s still a useful guy to have around as Triple-A depth, it will be a bad sign if he breaks camp with the Mets.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 1
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)