Dec 11, 2009, 8:59 PM EST
*Jose Arredondo will have Tommy John surgery and miss the 2010 season, a source told ESPN”s Jorge Arangure.
That explains his struggles. Arredondo burst onto the scene with 10 wins and a 1.62 ERA out of the pen in 2008, but he came in at 6.00 in 45 innings during a dreadful 2009. With Arredondo out of the mix, the Angels don’t have many quality bullpen options behind Brian Fuentes and Kevin Jepsen right now. Scot Shields should be back, but he’s not what he was, and Jason Bulger still could go either way. Then it’s Matt Palmer, Dustin Moseley, Trevor Bell, Rafael Rodriguez and Fernando Rodriguez. Darren O’Day sure would look nice in that mix right about now.
*The Diamondbacks have brought back utilityman Augie Ojeda on a one-year, $825,000 contract.
We’ll see several little signings over the next day, as teams give arbitration-eligible players take-it-or-leave-it offers prior to the Saturday night non-tender deadline. The Diamondbacks wanted Ojeda back, but not badly enough to go to arbitration with him. Since he was willing to accept a modest $112,500 raise, he will return in his reserve role and play behind Stephen Drew and maybe Ryan Roberts at second base. Ojeda, 35, hit .246/.340/.345 in 264 at-bats last season.
*The Mets re-signed Elmer Dessens to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
Dessens had a 3.31 ERA in 32 2/3 innings out of the pen for the Mets last season, but he was used in such low leverage situations that he never received a decision in his 28 appearances, 24 of which came in losses. While he’s still a useful guy to have around as Triple-A depth, it will be a bad sign if he breaks camp with the Mets.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 26
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)