Dec 11, 2009, 8:59 PM EDT
*Jose Arredondo will have Tommy John surgery and miss the 2010 season, a source told ESPN”s Jorge Arangure.
That explains his struggles. Arredondo burst onto the scene with 10 wins and a 1.62 ERA out of the pen in 2008, but he came in at 6.00 in 45 innings during a dreadful 2009. With Arredondo out of the mix, the Angels don’t have many quality bullpen options behind Brian Fuentes and Kevin Jepsen right now. Scot Shields should be back, but he’s not what he was, and Jason Bulger still could go either way. Then it’s Matt Palmer, Dustin Moseley, Trevor Bell, Rafael Rodriguez and Fernando Rodriguez. Darren O’Day sure would look nice in that mix right about now.
*The Diamondbacks have brought back utilityman Augie Ojeda on a one-year, $825,000 contract.
We’ll see several little signings over the next day, as teams give arbitration-eligible players take-it-or-leave-it offers prior to the Saturday night non-tender deadline. The Diamondbacks wanted Ojeda back, but not badly enough to go to arbitration with him. Since he was willing to accept a modest $112,500 raise, he will return in his reserve role and play behind Stephen Drew and maybe Ryan Roberts at second base. Ojeda, 35, hit .246/.340/.345 in 264 at-bats last season.
*The Mets re-signed Elmer Dessens to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
Dessens had a 3.31 ERA in 32 2/3 innings out of the pen for the Mets last season, but he was used in such low leverage situations that he never received a decision in his 28 appearances, 24 of which came in losses. While he’s still a useful guy to have around as Triple-A depth, it will be a bad sign if he breaks camp with the Mets.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 54
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)