Peter Gammons' Farewell Column at ESPN

Dec 11, 2009, 7:30 PM EDT

We’re not going to be without Peter Gammons. Indeed, if anything, we’re going to see a better, more comfortable Peter Gammons next season covering beats he truly loves for NESN and MLB.com.  But his departure from ESPN is notable given that, for many of us, it is only though ESPN that we know of him and his work.

Peter says goodbye today, and anyone who cares about baseball should read it.  He truly is one of the best.

Good luck with the new gig, Peter.

1. jake - Dec 11, 2009 at 11:19 PM

Won’t miss his “pro redsuks” stance, then again espn is pro baston.

2. Grant - Dec 12, 2009 at 1:55 AM

More importantly, I won’t miss his pro-Pearl Jam BS. Grunge stinks.

3. yumacommonsense - Dec 12, 2009 at 6:38 AM

sorry about his health concerns last year, but as for the reporting, I won’t miss that at all. Harsh, but accurate.

4. SPice - Dec 12, 2009 at 7:51 AM

I like Gammon, thoughtful, knowledgeable. But he is a Red Sox fan and it does come through in his reporting. The fact that he think Curt Schilling is a Hall of Fame player is appalling.

5. Wooden U. Lykteneau - Dec 12, 2009 at 8:04 AM

Well, it’s not like another network wraps its ankles around the back of its neck for the Yankees?

6. ditmars1929 - Dec 12, 2009 at 8:55 AM

Craig, Gammons absolutely sucks. He might’ve been a great newspaper man at one point, writing for a paper that allowed him to wear a PedSox jersey at his typewriter, but as a national (which implies unbiased) sports reporter, he was full of shit. I will continue to ignore him wherever I see him.

7. YANKEES1996 - Dec 12, 2009 at 9:11 AM

So sorry to see you go Peter, but have a good retirement and enjoy your family. I have truly enjoyed your columns and insight into the game. GOOD LUCK & BEST WISHES

8. Aarcraft - Dec 12, 2009 at 12:03 PM

You stay classy, Yankees fans.

9. James Schrunk - Feb 3, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Hello, awesome article, I truly enjoyed reading this. the article gave me the push to try my own post, please check my post by clicking my name at the top of this article, Many thanks

10. Offshore Pharmacy - Feb 11, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Reader.

11. Tony - Apr 6, 2010 at 10:53 PM

I agree! What a frickin’ blowhard. “Hall of Famer” my ass…for what? He’s completely full of shit!

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3985)