Dec 11, 2009, 2:49 PM EST
Assuming that the Mike Lowell trade to Texas goes through as planned Casey Kotchman will temporarily move atop Boston’s depth chart at first base, with Kevin Youkilis taking over for Lowell at third base. That alignment doesn’t figure to last long, with the Red Sox reportedly making a serious play for Adrian Beltre that would leave Youkilis at first base and send Kotchman back to the bench.
Despite the likelihood that Kotchman will be a backup once the dust clears in Boston and is set to get a raise from his $2.85 million salary via arbitration the Red Sox reportedly plan to tender him a contract tomorrow. Kotchman is an excellent defensive first baseman, but he’s also a 27-year-old career .269/.337/.406 hitter who batted .268/.339/.382 in 2009 and even with the Red Sox’s huge payroll $3 million is awfully expensive for a not-so-potent bench bat.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)