Dec 11, 2009, 2:49 PM EDT
Assuming that the Mike Lowell trade to Texas goes through as planned Casey Kotchman will temporarily move atop Boston’s depth chart at first base, with Kevin Youkilis taking over for Lowell at third base. That alignment doesn’t figure to last long, with the Red Sox reportedly making a serious play for Adrian Beltre that would leave Youkilis at first base and send Kotchman back to the bench.
Despite the likelihood that Kotchman will be a backup once the dust clears in Boston and is set to get a raise from his $2.85 million salary via arbitration the Red Sox reportedly plan to tender him a contract tomorrow. Kotchman is an excellent defensive first baseman, but he’s also a 27-year-old career .269/.337/.406 hitter who batted .268/.339/.382 in 2009 and even with the Red Sox’s huge payroll $3 million is awfully expensive for a not-so-potent bench bat.
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 0
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 88
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 13
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 54
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)