Dec 11, 2009, 5:47 PM EST
Rich Harden’s new deal gives him $11.5 million reasons to want to stay healthy. This piece at MLB.com talks about what he’s doing to make that elusive goal come to pass:
Harden has been searching for answers and believes he is getting there.
He works with a private physiotherapist in Phoenix and has worked hard
at tailoring his offseason and in-season workout programs to keep his
shoulder strong. Most important has been his weight-training program.
He backed off that in Oakland to try and protect the shoulder, and only
found that caused more problems.
“I’ve tweaked it as I’ve gone along, added some things, subtracted some
things, and I believe I’ve found something that works,” Harden said.
“I’ve had some injuries, but I’ve worked hard to put it behind me, now
I can get out there and make 30 starts. I feel this is a good fit for
Not to spook Rangers’ fans, but this sounds like one of those “Player X is in the best shape of his life” articles that you always read in the spring. The ones that are followed with yet another trip to the DL come May 1st. Harden has been on that DL seven times in five years, and now he’s going to a team where the man in charge makes a big, big point of pitchers going long into games as often as possible.
Like so many people, I love Harden’s stuff and love to see him pitch. Given his history, however, I just don’t have a strong feeling that we’ll get to see him pitch as much as we’d like — or he’d like — in 2010.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 43
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 168
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (168)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)