Dec 11, 2009, 3:47 PM EDT
Yesterday the Rockies signed Chris Iannetta to a three-year, $8.3 million contract with an option for 2013, but they’re apparently not done handing out multi-year deals to catchers. Iannetta actually lost his starting job to Yorvit Torrealba down the stretch and Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies have offered Torrealba a two-year, $5.6 million contract to stick around and split time again.
Torrealba is said to be seeking $6 million over two years, so only $400,000 stands in the way of a seemingly inevitable agreement. Both catchers are right-handed hitters, so they don’t really form any kind of platoon, and presumably the 31-year-old Torrealba realizes that the 26-year-old Iannetta will get every opportunity to claim most of the playing time.
Torrealba has a good defensive reputation and has hit .258/.316/.393 in four seasons with the Rockies, which is somewhat respectable for a catcher, but Iannetta’s career .242/.361/.446 line gives him significantly more upside. Having both Iannetta and Torrealba would be a nice luxury for the Rockies, but if they like Iannetta enough to keep him around through 2013 it would probably make more sense to back him up with someone making $400,000 and spend $5 million elsewhere.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 25
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 33
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (122)