Dec 11, 2009, 8:28 AM EDT
The one bit of conventional wisdom that came out of Indianapolis is that the Astros made some really, really bad moves. Brandon Lyon for $15 million? Pedro Feliz? This is not the stuff a smart team does.
But they do have at least one defender. This unattributed post comes from the FOX Sports.com rumors blog that had recently started doling out attribution between Rosenthal, Morosi and Ringolsby depending upon whose story it was. No one is claiming this, however:
So, [the Astros] ended up with Lindstrom, Lyon and Feliz for almost the same
amount of money — in 2010, anyway — that it would have cost them to
Whether you’re a fan of those three players or
not, we can agree that Houston general manager Ed Wade has more talent
on his roster now than if Valverde had accepted the arbitration offer.
I guess that’s one way to put it. Another way to put it is that they’ve spent more than $10 million on parts that only begin to fill their many, many holes. That the players they spent more than $10 million on aren’t worth the money they’re making and that as currently constructed — and without much more available in the way of cash — the 2010 Astros stand to be substantially worse than the 2009 Astros. And that doesn’t even take into account the two additional years on the Lyon contract.
This spin reminds me of the sort of thing my dad says when he’s at Best Buy. He’ll covet a TV or something else he can’t afford, dismiss it, and then walk out of the store with three things that, together, cost as much. When you ask him why he bought that stuff, he’ll cite all the money he saved by not buying the TV.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 7
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 11
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 10
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 31
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)