Dec 11, 2009, 9:58 AM EDT
To be fair, though, Tony Pena, Jr. is a better pitcher than he is a shortstop. I mean, the Royals decided that Yuniesky Betancourt was a better option at short last year, and he was just about the worst player in all of baseball. And you know what? The Royals were right to think he was the better option.
Anyway, the Giants just inked Pena to a minor league deal. Hard to say if he’ll make it. He pitched decently in the low minors after he was converted, but he’s struggling in the Dominican Winter League right now. Still, I’d like to see him succeed as a pitcher just because random stories about shortstops turning into relievers is the sort of thing that makes me love this game.
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 34
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 131
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 33
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (131)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)