Dec 11, 2009, 9:58 AM EST
To be fair, though, Tony Pena, Jr. is a better pitcher than he is a shortstop. I mean, the Royals decided that Yuniesky Betancourt was a better option at short last year, and he was just about the worst player in all of baseball. And you know what? The Royals were right to think he was the better option.
Anyway, the Giants just inked Pena to a minor league deal. Hard to say if he’ll make it. He pitched decently in the low minors after he was converted, but he’s struggling in the Dominican Winter League right now. Still, I’d like to see him succeed as a pitcher just because random stories about shortstops turning into relievers is the sort of thing that makes me love this game.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 18
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 32
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)