Dec 11, 2009, 8:00 AM EDT
As far as the big names go, the focus of the second half of the Winter Meetings was definitely on Jason Bay and Roy Halladay. In fact, no one really had anything on Matt Holliday or John Lackey yesterday or most of Wednesday. As of this morning, however, FOX’s Jon Paul Morosi reports that the Seattle Mariners are looking at Lackey.
This is a bit surprising given that it had previously been reported that they were looking more at “high-upside, medium-risk” pitchers like Rich Harden and maybe even Ben Sheets, each of whom would command less money than Lackey (and in fact, Harden did command quite a reasonable contract).
Not that such an approach has been discarded. Indeed, Morosi spends more time in his report talking about the possibility of a Jarrod Washburn return to Seattle than he does on Lackey. Though I suppose Washburn is more of a “meh-upside, medium risk” type than a “high-upside, medium risk” type.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)