Dec 11, 2009, 8:00 AM EST
As far as the big names go, the focus of the second half of the Winter Meetings was definitely on Jason Bay and Roy Halladay. In fact, no one really had anything on Matt Holliday or John Lackey yesterday or most of Wednesday. As of this morning, however, FOX’s Jon Paul Morosi reports that the Seattle Mariners are looking at Lackey.
This is a bit surprising given that it had previously been reported that they were looking more at “high-upside, medium-risk” pitchers like Rich Harden and maybe even Ben Sheets, each of whom would command less money than Lackey (and in fact, Harden did command quite a reasonable contract).
Not that such an approach has been discarded. Indeed, Morosi spends more time in his report talking about the possibility of a Jarrod Washburn return to Seattle than he does on Lackey. Though I suppose Washburn is more of a “meh-upside, medium risk” type than a “high-upside, medium risk” type.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)