Dec 11, 2009, 1:39 PM EDT
Paul Sullivan of the Tribune tweets that the Sox and Putz have reached a one-year deal (Update: it’s for $3 million; Update #2: Another $3 million in games-finished incentives too). Putz was an elite closer a couple of years ago but declined big in 2008 and even bigger in 2009, ending the season with a tear in his UCL — which I thought was some sort of mixed martial arts league until I Googled it — back in August.
If he can show he’s healthy and regains at least part of his form from a couple of years ago it will likely inspire Bobby Jenks to start going to Curves in the afternoons before games.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)