Dec 11, 2009, 1:20 PM EDT
I guess that stuff about the Yankees playing hardball with Johnny Damon is legit. According to Heyman, the team and the player are currently two years and $34 million apart, with Damon wanting $52 million for four years and the Yankees offering $18 million for two years.
Heyman asks “doesnt this have to get done tho?” You know what? If I’m the Yankees I say nope. Not at all. Not at what Damon wants. He’s worth $9 million over two. Maybe a bit more. Even if you put a Pettitte-style bumper on it because, hell, it’s the Yankees, you don’t get to four years and $52 million.
I like Brian Cashman’s slow-and-easy approach to this. Leave the offer out there for a month. Heck, make it an even $20 million if you want. If Damon can go and find four years from someone, mazel tov. If not, he’ll sign at what I’m offering.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 64
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 47
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 97
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (97)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)