Dec 11, 2009, 1:20 PM EDT
I guess that stuff about the Yankees playing hardball with Johnny Damon is legit. According to Heyman, the team and the player are currently two years and $34 million apart, with Damon wanting $52 million for four years and the Yankees offering $18 million for two years.
Heyman asks “doesnt this have to get done tho?” You know what? If I’m the Yankees I say nope. Not at all. Not at what Damon wants. He’s worth $9 million over two. Maybe a bit more. Even if you put a Pettitte-style bumper on it because, hell, it’s the Yankees, you don’t get to four years and $52 million.
I like Brian Cashman’s slow-and-easy approach to this. Leave the offer out there for a month. Heck, make it an even $20 million if you want. If Damon can go and find four years from someone, mazel tov. If not, he’ll sign at what I’m offering.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (81)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million