Dec 11, 2009, 1:20 PM EDT
I guess that stuff about the Yankees playing hardball with Johnny Damon is legit. According to Heyman, the team and the player are currently two years and $34 million apart, with Damon wanting $52 million for four years and the Yankees offering $18 million for two years.
Heyman asks “doesnt this have to get done tho?” You know what? If I’m the Yankees I say nope. Not at all. Not at what Damon wants. He’s worth $9 million over two. Maybe a bit more. Even if you put a Pettitte-style bumper on it because, hell, it’s the Yankees, you don’t get to four years and $52 million.
I like Brian Cashman’s slow-and-easy approach to this. Leave the offer out there for a month. Heck, make it an even $20 million if you want. If Damon can go and find four years from someone, mazel tov. If not, he’ll sign at what I’m offering.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 15
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 43
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (76)