Dec 11, 2009, 1:20 PM EDT
I guess that stuff about the Yankees playing hardball with Johnny Damon is legit. According to Heyman, the team and the player are currently two years and $34 million apart, with Damon wanting $52 million for four years and the Yankees offering $18 million for two years.
Heyman asks “doesnt this have to get done tho?” You know what? If I’m the Yankees I say nope. Not at all. Not at what Damon wants. He’s worth $9 million over two. Maybe a bit more. Even if you put a Pettitte-style bumper on it because, hell, it’s the Yankees, you don’t get to four years and $52 million.
I like Brian Cashman’s slow-and-easy approach to this. Leave the offer out there for a month. Heck, make it an even $20 million if you want. If Damon can go and find four years from someone, mazel tov. If not, he’ll sign at what I’m offering.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)