Dec 11, 2009, 8:58 AM EDT
I had the pleasure of meeting the Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger during the Winter Meetings. Nice guy. Which is why I felt bad for him when I read a tweet of his yesterday in which he said his flight back home got canceled due to bad weather.
But the extra time on the ground worked out for the best, because he got to talk to Brian Cashman, who revealed that the Yankees don’t plan on signing anyone else for a while, taking a slow, wait and see approach in the wake of a busy week at the Winter Meetings.
Notably, Cashman said that “The next step isn’t ready to happen now, let’s put it that way, based on my conversations with everybody.” I take those “conversations with everybody” to mean conversations with Johnny Damon, which were reported to be taking place yesterday morning as everyone left town. Based on Cashman’s comments, I’m assuming they weren’t very productive conversations.
Further evidence that Damon may be off the radar for a while comes from Cashman’s statements that he “may choose to stick with internal options to fill several holes on the roster.” He needs to fill either center or left depending on where they decide to play Granderson. He now has a new outfielder in Rule 5 selection Jamie Hoffmann, to go along with Melky Cabrera and Brett Gardner.
Would the Yankees seriously go to war with an outfield of Granderson, Swisher and the three-headed-mediocrity monster that is Cabrera-Gardner-Hoffmann?
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 17
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 22
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 39
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)