Dec 11, 2009, 8:58 AM EDT
I had the pleasure of meeting the Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger during the Winter Meetings. Nice guy. Which is why I felt bad for him when I read a tweet of his yesterday in which he said his flight back home got canceled due to bad weather.
But the extra time on the ground worked out for the best, because he got to talk to Brian Cashman, who revealed that the Yankees don’t plan on signing anyone else for a while, taking a slow, wait and see approach in the wake of a busy week at the Winter Meetings.
Notably, Cashman said that “The next step isn’t ready to happen now, let’s put it that way, based on my conversations with everybody.” I take those “conversations with everybody” to mean conversations with Johnny Damon, which were reported to be taking place yesterday morning as everyone left town. Based on Cashman’s comments, I’m assuming they weren’t very productive conversations.
Further evidence that Damon may be off the radar for a while comes from Cashman’s statements that he “may choose to stick with internal options to fill several holes on the roster.” He needs to fill either center or left depending on where they decide to play Granderson. He now has a new outfielder in Rule 5 selection Jamie Hoffmann, to go along with Melky Cabrera and Brett Gardner.
Would the Yankees seriously go to war with an outfield of Granderson, Swisher and the three-headed-mediocrity monster that is Cabrera-Gardner-Hoffmann?
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 4
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 88
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 13
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 55
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)