Dec 11, 2009, 8:58 AM EDT
I had the pleasure of meeting the Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger during the Winter Meetings. Nice guy. Which is why I felt bad for him when I read a tweet of his yesterday in which he said his flight back home got canceled due to bad weather.
But the extra time on the ground worked out for the best, because he got to talk to Brian Cashman, who revealed that the Yankees don’t plan on signing anyone else for a while, taking a slow, wait and see approach in the wake of a busy week at the Winter Meetings.
Notably, Cashman said that “The next step isn’t ready to happen now, let’s put it that way, based on my conversations with everybody.” I take those “conversations with everybody” to mean conversations with Johnny Damon, which were reported to be taking place yesterday morning as everyone left town. Based on Cashman’s comments, I’m assuming they weren’t very productive conversations.
Further evidence that Damon may be off the radar for a while comes from Cashman’s statements that he “may choose to stick with internal options to fill several holes on the roster.” He needs to fill either center or left depending on where they decide to play Granderson. He now has a new outfielder in Rule 5 selection Jamie Hoffmann, to go along with Melky Cabrera and Brett Gardner.
Would the Yankees seriously go to war with an outfield of Granderson, Swisher and the three-headed-mediocrity monster that is Cabrera-Gardner-Hoffmann?
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 19
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 55
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 17
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)