Dec 11, 2009, 8:58 AM EDT
I had the pleasure of meeting the Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger during the Winter Meetings. Nice guy. Which is why I felt bad for him when I read a tweet of his yesterday in which he said his flight back home got canceled due to bad weather.
But the extra time on the ground worked out for the best, because he got to talk to Brian Cashman, who revealed that the Yankees don’t plan on signing anyone else for a while, taking a slow, wait and see approach in the wake of a busy week at the Winter Meetings.
Notably, Cashman said that “The next step isn’t ready to happen now, let’s put it that way, based on my conversations with everybody.” I take those “conversations with everybody” to mean conversations with Johnny Damon, which were reported to be taking place yesterday morning as everyone left town. Based on Cashman’s comments, I’m assuming they weren’t very productive conversations.
Further evidence that Damon may be off the radar for a while comes from Cashman’s statements that he “may choose to stick with internal options to fill several holes on the roster.” He needs to fill either center or left depending on where they decide to play Granderson. He now has a new outfielder in Rule 5 selection Jamie Hoffmann, to go along with Melky Cabrera and Brett Gardner.
Would the Yankees seriously go to war with an outfield of Granderson, Swisher and the three-headed-mediocrity monster that is Cabrera-Gardner-Hoffmann?
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 0
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 9
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 91
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (109)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (91)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)