Dec 11, 2009, 1:53 PM EDT
Phil Coke served as a left-handed specialist for the Yankees over the past two seasons, working strictly out of the bullpen while logging just 74.2 innings in 83 appearances. He pitched well, with a 3.74 ERA, 63/22 K/BB ratio, and .199 opponents’ average, but that success came while being matched up against left-handed hitters 60 percent of the time.
Coke likely would have been used similarly in 2010 had he stayed in New York, but after being traded to Detroit in the three-team Curtis Granderson deal there’s talk of the Tigers giving the 27-year-old southpaw a chance in their rotation. Here’s what general manager Dave Dombrowski had to say about the possibility:
There’s a chance, by all means. Our people liked him in the minors as a starter, and he had good numbers. Those will be some discussions that we have. I’m not making any declaration, because we haven’t made any decision. I wouldn’t be surprised if he had the opportunity to be one of our starters.
Coke was a starter for most of his minor-league career, but as Joba Chamberlain and Phil Hughes can attest to it’s often difficult for young pitchers to crack and stick in the Yankees’ rotation. Coke had already been shifted to the bullpen by the time he reached Triple-A, but he went 9-4 with a 2.51 ERA and 115/39 K/BB ratio in 118.1 innings as a starter at Double-A. Giving him an opportunity to be a solid mid-rotation starter before making him a good left-handed specialist certainly makes sense.
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 13
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 13
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 33
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)