Dec 11, 2009, 11:48 AM EDT
Earlier this week the Royals were said to be interested in Brett Gardner, whose role with the Yankees is unclear following the trade for Curtis Granderson, and now the White Sox are reportedly interested in him too.
New York may be hesitant to deal Gardner until sorting things out with Hideki Matsui and Johnny Damon, but according to Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times the White Sox would love to add him as their starting center fielder and leadoff man. Chicago acquiring Gardner would shift Alex Rios to right field and send Andruw Jones to DH or the bench.
That would significantly improve the White Sox’s defense, because Gardner is a very strong center fielder and Rios is excellent in a corner spot, but Cowley’s assertion that Gardner “could be on the brink of being a special prototypical leadoff hitter” is overstating things quite a bit. Gardner certainly has top-of-the-order speed, but so far at least there’s little to suggest that he has a top-of-the-order bat.
He’s 26 years old and has hit just .256/.325/.352 through 425 plate appearances in the majors, with Baseball Think Factory projecting him to bat .253/.328/.344 in 2010. Gardner’s minor-league track record is slightly more promising, but he has almost zero power and doesn’t walk much, so unless he’s able to consistently hit near .300 odds are he’ll be more like a “prototypical” fourth outfielder.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)