Dec 11, 2009, 11:48 AM EDT
Earlier this week the Royals were said to be interested in Brett Gardner, whose role with the Yankees is unclear following the trade for Curtis Granderson, and now the White Sox are reportedly interested in him too.
New York may be hesitant to deal Gardner until sorting things out with Hideki Matsui and Johnny Damon, but according to Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times the White Sox would love to add him as their starting center fielder and leadoff man. Chicago acquiring Gardner would shift Alex Rios to right field and send Andruw Jones to DH or the bench.
That would significantly improve the White Sox’s defense, because Gardner is a very strong center fielder and Rios is excellent in a corner spot, but Cowley’s assertion that Gardner “could be on the brink of being a special prototypical leadoff hitter” is overstating things quite a bit. Gardner certainly has top-of-the-order speed, but so far at least there’s little to suggest that he has a top-of-the-order bat.
He’s 26 years old and has hit just .256/.325/.352 through 425 plate appearances in the majors, with Baseball Think Factory projecting him to bat .253/.328/.344 in 2010. Gardner’s minor-league track record is slightly more promising, but he has almost zero power and doesn’t walk much, so unless he’s able to consistently hit near .300 odds are he’ll be more like a “prototypical” fourth outfielder.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 47
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)