Dec 12, 2009, 1:29 PM EDT
Uh-oh. Matt Cerrone of MetsBlog informs us that Alex Cora injured his back while playing with Criollos de Caguas in the Puerto Rican Winter League last week.
Cora, 34, signed a one-year, $2
million contract with the Mets earlier this month. He batted
.251/.320/.310 with one home run, 18 RBI and 31 runs scored in 217
at-bats in ’09 before undergoing season-ending surgery on both thumbs
For those keeping score, Cora has a bad back while new catcher Henry Blanco already has a bum shoulder. It will be awful tough to top last year’s calvalcade of injuries, but the Mets are off to a pretty impressive start.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8