Dec 12, 2009, 1:29 PM EDT
Uh-oh. Matt Cerrone of MetsBlog informs us that Alex Cora injured his back while playing with Criollos de Caguas in the Puerto Rican Winter League last week.
Cora, 34, signed a one-year, $2
million contract with the Mets earlier this month. He batted
.251/.320/.310 with one home run, 18 RBI and 31 runs scored in 217
at-bats in ’09 before undergoing season-ending surgery on both thumbs
For those keeping score, Cora has a bad back while new catcher Henry Blanco already has a bum shoulder. It will be awful tough to top last year’s calvalcade of injuries, but the Mets are off to a pretty impressive start.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 68
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11