Dec 12, 2009, 3:58 PM EDT
Things are about to get interesting. Rosenthal:
Jason Bay’s tenure with the Red Sox appears over.
The free-agent left fielder has rejected the team’s latest offer and is entertaining better proposals from other clubs, according to his agent, Joe Urbon.
“We don’t agree with their evaluation of the player,” Urbon said. “Frankly, we have other offers on the table that are of greater interest to Jason.”
It’s unclear whether the Red Sox tendered a new offer for Bay, or if this is the same four-year, $60 million offer previously reported by Jon Heyman of SI.com.
As detailed this morning, the Mets
offered a backloaded four-year, $63 million offer for Bay before
leaving the winter meetings. It’s possible that one of the offers of
“greater interest” are from the Mets, but they’ll surely have to add
another year to close the deal.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)