Dec 12, 2009, 3:58 PM EDT
Things are about to get interesting. Rosenthal:
Jason Bay’s tenure with the Red Sox appears over.
The free-agent left fielder has rejected the team’s latest offer and is entertaining better proposals from other clubs, according to his agent, Joe Urbon.
“We don’t agree with their evaluation of the player,” Urbon said. “Frankly, we have other offers on the table that are of greater interest to Jason.”
It’s unclear whether the Red Sox tendered a new offer for Bay, or if this is the same four-year, $60 million offer previously reported by Jon Heyman of SI.com.
As detailed this morning, the Mets
offered a backloaded four-year, $63 million offer for Bay before
leaving the winter meetings. It’s possible that one of the offers of
“greater interest” are from the Mets, but they’ll surely have to add
another year to close the deal.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 62
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 80
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 51
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11