Dec 12, 2009, 3:58 PM EST
Things are about to get interesting. Rosenthal:
Jason Bay’s tenure with the Red Sox appears over.
The free-agent left fielder has rejected the team’s latest offer and is entertaining better proposals from other clubs, according to his agent, Joe Urbon.
“We don’t agree with their evaluation of the player,” Urbon said. “Frankly, we have other offers on the table that are of greater interest to Jason.”
It’s unclear whether the Red Sox tendered a new offer for Bay, or if this is the same four-year, $60 million offer previously reported by Jon Heyman of SI.com.
As detailed this morning, the Mets
offered a backloaded four-year, $63 million offer for Bay before
leaving the winter meetings. It’s possible that one of the offers of
“greater interest” are from the Mets, but they’ll surely have to add
another year to close the deal.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)