Dec 12, 2009, 3:58 PM EST
Things are about to get interesting. Rosenthal:
Jason Bay’s tenure with the Red Sox appears over.
The free-agent left fielder has rejected the team’s latest offer and is entertaining better proposals from other clubs, according to his agent, Joe Urbon.
“We don’t agree with their evaluation of the player,” Urbon said. “Frankly, we have other offers on the table that are of greater interest to Jason.”
It’s unclear whether the Red Sox tendered a new offer for Bay, or if this is the same four-year, $60 million offer previously reported by Jon Heyman of SI.com.
As detailed this morning, the Mets
offered a backloaded four-year, $63 million offer for Bay before
leaving the winter meetings. It’s possible that one of the offers of
“greater interest” are from the Mets, but they’ll surely have to add
another year to close the deal.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)