Dec 12, 2009, 3:58 PM EDT
Things are about to get interesting. Rosenthal:
Jason Bay’s tenure with the Red Sox appears over.
The free-agent left fielder has rejected the team’s latest offer and is entertaining better proposals from other clubs, according to his agent, Joe Urbon.
“We don’t agree with their evaluation of the player,” Urbon said. “Frankly, we have other offers on the table that are of greater interest to Jason.”
It’s unclear whether the Red Sox tendered a new offer for Bay, or if this is the same four-year, $60 million offer previously reported by Jon Heyman of SI.com.
As detailed this morning, the Mets
offered a backloaded four-year, $63 million offer for Bay before
leaving the winter meetings. It’s possible that one of the offers of
“greater interest” are from the Mets, but they’ll surely have to add
another year to close the deal.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 27
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 70
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 85
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)