Dec 12, 2009, 8:22 PM EDT
Earlier this week Kevin Correia said that he expected to be either traded or non-tendered by the Padres because they didn’t want to risk the possibility that he’d be awarded a big raise via arbitration, but the two sides have agreed to a one-year, $3.6 million deal just hours before the midnight deadline.
Correia earned around $1 million in 2009 while going 12-11 with a 3.91 ERA in 33 starts and previously classified the Padres’ contract offers as “obviously below the arbitration value.” If that’s the case then his agent did well in eleventh-hour negotiating, because $3.6 million is arguably more than he could have been expected to receive by going through the arbitration process.
Apparently the Padres were primarily scared of Correia being awarded a huge sum or simply changed their minds about his value for 2010. Whatever the case he’ll be eligible for free agency next offseason and continuing to call Petco Park home will help him hit the open market with his value as high as possible. Correia is little more than a fourth or fifth starter, but the majors’ most pitcher-friendly ballpark helped his raw numbers look more like they came from a No. 2 or No. 3 guy.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 1
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 2
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 59
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games