Dec 12, 2009, 8:22 PM EST
Earlier this week Kevin Correia said that he expected to be either traded or non-tendered by the Padres because they didn’t want to risk the possibility that he’d be awarded a big raise via arbitration, but the two sides have agreed to a one-year, $3.6 million deal just hours before the midnight deadline.
Correia earned around $1 million in 2009 while going 12-11 with a 3.91 ERA in 33 starts and previously classified the Padres’ contract offers as “obviously below the arbitration value.” If that’s the case then his agent did well in eleventh-hour negotiating, because $3.6 million is arguably more than he could have been expected to receive by going through the arbitration process.
Apparently the Padres were primarily scared of Correia being awarded a huge sum or simply changed their minds about his value for 2010. Whatever the case he’ll be eligible for free agency next offseason and continuing to call Petco Park home will help him hit the open market with his value as high as possible. Correia is little more than a fourth or fifth starter, but the majors’ most pitcher-friendly ballpark helped his raw numbers look more like they came from a No. 2 or No. 3 guy.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 43
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 36
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 117
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)