Dec 12, 2009, 11:09 PM EST
Dioner Navarro was thought to be a likely non-tender candidate following the Rays’ trade for Kelly Shoppach, but instead the two sides have agreed to a one-year, $2.1 million contract that will keep him in Tampa Bay.
It remains to be seen how the Rays plan to divvy up the playing behind the plate after Navarro started at least 100 games in each of the past three seasons, but Shoppach’s presence and likely higher salary make it clear that the incumbent won’t approach triple-digit starts in 2010 after batting just .218/.261/.322 for the worst OPS of any AL hitter with 400-plus plate appearances.
Navarro is a switch-hitter who’s been significantly better against right-handers and Shoppach is a right-handed hitter who’s been significantly better against left-handers, so they would form a pretty nifty platoon. However, given that Shoppach’s career OPS tops Navarro’s lifetime mark by nearly 100 points it seems likely the Rays will give the newcomer every opportunity to claim primary catching duties, potentially making Navarro an expensive backup or trade bait.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)