Dec 12, 2009, 6:12 PM EST
Updating a previous item, a major league source told WEEI.com that a mystery team has exceeded four years for free agent outfielder Jason Bay.
The only two known offers at this point:
Four-years, $60 million – Red Sox
Four-years, $63 million – Mets
After agent Joe Urbon’s comments earlier today
and the skepticism following the Mets’ initial offer, it doesn’t take a
huge leap of logic to think the offer came from Omar Minaya and
company. I suppose we can’t dismiss the Mariners, either, though it’s hard to believe they would be that silly.
My big question is that if Bay somehow manages to squeeze five
years and $80 million out of somebody, how much does Matt Holliday make?
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 15
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)