Dec 12, 2009, 10:37 AM EDT
After providing plenty of rumors and news all week at the winter meetings, Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com has a doozy of an idea regarding Roy Halladay and the Phillies:
You want a blockbuster? How about one that includes not one, but two former Cy Young Award winners?
I have no proof
that the Phillies are trying to move left-hander Cliff Lee as part of a
three- or four-team trade for Blue Jays right-hander Roy Halladay.
But I’ve got a hunch.
So, here’s the
deal: Lee goes somewhere for prospects. The Phillies include the
prospects in their package for Halladay, maybe keep one or two for
themselves. Halladay gets his extension, the Jays get a bounty of young
players and some lucky team gets Lee for one year at his bargain salary
of $9 million.
Who could be that lucky team? The
Mariners, says Rosenthal. Again, it’s just a hunch, but Rosenthal
thinks Mariners’ prospects Michael Saunders and Phillipe Aumont could
appeal to the Blue Jays because they are Canadian.
Is the idea far-fetched? Maybe. If
the Phillies want to go all-out this season, they could afford to keep
both. But both Lee and Halladay are free agents after 2010 and would
cost somewhere around $150-200 million to stick around, a figure that
makes every team outside of the Yankees blush. Rosenthal’s idea
wouldn’t give Phillies fans the dream rotation they covet, but his
logic is pretty sound.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 19
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 37
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 85
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)