Dec 12, 2009, 10:37 AM EDT
After providing plenty of rumors and news all week at the winter meetings, Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com has a doozy of an idea regarding Roy Halladay and the Phillies:
You want a blockbuster? How about one that includes not one, but two former Cy Young Award winners?
I have no proof
that the Phillies are trying to move left-hander Cliff Lee as part of a
three- or four-team trade for Blue Jays right-hander Roy Halladay.
But I’ve got a hunch.
So, here’s the
deal: Lee goes somewhere for prospects. The Phillies include the
prospects in their package for Halladay, maybe keep one or two for
themselves. Halladay gets his extension, the Jays get a bounty of young
players and some lucky team gets Lee for one year at his bargain salary
of $9 million.
Who could be that lucky team? The
Mariners, says Rosenthal. Again, it’s just a hunch, but Rosenthal
thinks Mariners’ prospects Michael Saunders and Phillipe Aumont could
appeal to the Blue Jays because they are Canadian.
Is the idea far-fetched? Maybe. If
the Phillies want to go all-out this season, they could afford to keep
both. But both Lee and Halladay are free agents after 2010 and would
cost somewhere around $150-200 million to stick around, a figure that
makes every team outside of the Yankees blush. Rosenthal’s idea
wouldn’t give Phillies fans the dream rotation they covet, but his
logic is pretty sound.
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 25
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 41
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 39
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)