Dec 12, 2009, 10:37 AM EST
After providing plenty of rumors and news all week at the winter meetings, Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com has a doozy of an idea regarding Roy Halladay and the Phillies:
You want a blockbuster? How about one that includes not one, but two former Cy Young Award winners?
I have no proof
that the Phillies are trying to move left-hander Cliff Lee as part of a
three- or four-team trade for Blue Jays right-hander Roy Halladay.
But I’ve got a hunch.
So, here’s the
deal: Lee goes somewhere for prospects. The Phillies include the
prospects in their package for Halladay, maybe keep one or two for
themselves. Halladay gets his extension, the Jays get a bounty of young
players and some lucky team gets Lee for one year at his bargain salary
of $9 million.
Who could be that lucky team? The
Mariners, says Rosenthal. Again, it’s just a hunch, but Rosenthal
thinks Mariners’ prospects Michael Saunders and Phillipe Aumont could
appeal to the Blue Jays because they are Canadian.
Is the idea far-fetched? Maybe. If
the Phillies want to go all-out this season, they could afford to keep
both. But both Lee and Halladay are free agents after 2010 and would
cost somewhere around $150-200 million to stick around, a figure that
makes every team outside of the Yankees blush. Rosenthal’s idea
wouldn’t give Phillies fans the dream rotation they covet, but his
logic is pretty sound.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 115
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 41
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 368
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (368)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (115)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)