Dec 12, 2009, 3:23 PM EDT
As expected, the Yankees non-tendered Chien-Ming Wang on Saturday.
The 29-year-old right-hander was 1-6 with a 9.64 ERA and 2.02 WHIP in
2009, eventually undergoing season-ending shoulder surgery in June.
Though Wang has already started a
throwing program, he’s not expected to be ready to pitch in the majors until at least May.
He’ll join Erik Bedard and Ben Sheets among low-risk/high-reward
options in free agency.
Wang will receive plenty of interest
(Joe Torre and the Dodgers?), but whoever picks him up can’t be sure of what they will
get. He hasn’t pitched a full season since 2007 and his impressive win totals are in-part a product of a great offense and
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17