Dec 13, 2009, 9:03 AM EDT
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe has been following the Adrian Gonzalez situation pretty closely this winter, but recent talks between the Red Sox and Padres are going nowhere. For now, that is.
At conflict is the players San Diego
will receive in return. New general manager Jed Hoyer has asked for
Clay Buchholz and either prospect outfielder Ryan Westmoreland or
right-hander Casey Kelly. As of now, the Red Sox aren’t receptive to
the asking price, but all things considered, it’s a pretty reasonable
return for two years of team control on Gonzalez. They may be more inclined to bite the bullet and make a deal if Jason Bay leaves via free agency.
Expect some continued to-and-fro
over the course of the winter between the clubs, but the most
interesting note from Cafardo’s piece is a teammate of Gonzalez
indicating that Boston would be the first baseman’s preferred
destination should he be traded. The Mariners and Mets, among others,
are also rumored to have varying degrees of interest in the 27-year-old
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 55
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 15
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 43
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead