Dec 13, 2009, 1:27 PM EDT
When Scott Boras talks, people listen. Take the winter meetings, for instance.
He’s bombastic. He’s outrageous. And sometimes he’s very close to
pushing his luck. The Yankees recently acquired the younger and
more-athletic Curtis Granderson in a blockbuster three-team trade,
providing general manager Brian Cashman with some flexibility in
negotiations for veteran free agent outfielder Johnny Damon. You
wouldn’t know it if you talked to Boras.
According to the New York Daily News, Boras told the Yankees to “not bother” tendering an offer to Damon unless it was for at least three years and no less than the $13 million salary he earned in 2009.
Obviously, the Yankees have no intention of granted the 36-year-old
Damon a three-year contract, and Boras can’t realistically expect him
to find one in free agency. It’s a rather obvious stunt.
So far, the Yankees have told Boras
they would like to bring Damon back, but they’ve drawn the line at two
years at around $8 million per season. Bobby Abreu’s recent two-year,
$19 million contract with the Angels seems like a fair compromise of
terms, but if Boras keeps pushing it, the Bombers will have no
qualms about moving forward.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 3
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 37
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)