Dec 14, 2009, 8:58 AM EST
There’s word that free agent first basemen Adam LaRoche is seeking a three-year deal worth $31.5 million. Is it just me, or is demanding $10.5 million a year oddly specific? I get this image of LaRoche sitting on a bus in the minors, riding from town-to-town in the Carolina league, wishing that, one day, he’d make $10.5 million. What plans did he have for that extra $500,000? That’s between Adam and his dreams, my friends. Between Adam and his dreams.
Anyway, that seems rich for a guy who puts together a solid half-season every year and nothing more. Maybe I’d pay him $31.5 million for a six year deal that specifies he only play after the All-Star break or something, but unless he’s figured out the key to waking up before July, I can’t see going that large with him. There are a lot of first base platoon options floating around right now that can get you close to what LaRoche gives you for less than that kind of money.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (88)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)