Dec 14, 2009, 8:58 AM EDT
There’s word that free agent first basemen Adam LaRoche is seeking a three-year deal worth $31.5 million. Is it just me, or is demanding $10.5 million a year oddly specific? I get this image of LaRoche sitting on a bus in the minors, riding from town-to-town in the Carolina league, wishing that, one day, he’d make $10.5 million. What plans did he have for that extra $500,000? That’s between Adam and his dreams, my friends. Between Adam and his dreams.
Anyway, that seems rich for a guy who puts together a solid half-season every year and nothing more. Maybe I’d pay him $31.5 million for a six year deal that specifies he only play after the All-Star break or something, but unless he’s figured out the key to waking up before July, I can’t see going that large with him. There are a lot of first base platoon options floating around right now that can get you close to what LaRoche gives you for less than that kind of money.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 45
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 50
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)