Dec 14, 2009, 8:58 AM EDT
There’s word that free agent first basemen Adam LaRoche is seeking a three-year deal worth $31.5 million. Is it just me, or is demanding $10.5 million a year oddly specific? I get this image of LaRoche sitting on a bus in the minors, riding from town-to-town in the Carolina league, wishing that, one day, he’d make $10.5 million. What plans did he have for that extra $500,000? That’s between Adam and his dreams, my friends. Between Adam and his dreams.
Anyway, that seems rich for a guy who puts together a solid half-season every year and nothing more. Maybe I’d pay him $31.5 million for a six year deal that specifies he only play after the All-Star break or something, but unless he’s figured out the key to waking up before July, I can’t see going that large with him. There are a lot of first base platoon options floating around right now that can get you close to what LaRoche gives you for less than that kind of money.
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 0
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 9
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 139
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (139)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)