Dec 14, 2009, 8:58 AM EST
There’s word that free agent first basemen Adam LaRoche is seeking a three-year deal worth $31.5 million. Is it just me, or is demanding $10.5 million a year oddly specific? I get this image of LaRoche sitting on a bus in the minors, riding from town-to-town in the Carolina league, wishing that, one day, he’d make $10.5 million. What plans did he have for that extra $500,000? That’s between Adam and his dreams, my friends. Between Adam and his dreams.
Anyway, that seems rich for a guy who puts together a solid half-season every year and nothing more. Maybe I’d pay him $31.5 million for a six year deal that specifies he only play after the All-Star break or something, but unless he’s figured out the key to waking up before July, I can’t see going that large with him. There are a lot of first base platoon options floating around right now that can get you close to what LaRoche gives you for less than that kind of money.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 30
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 30
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 71
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)