Dec 14, 2009, 8:58 AM EDT
There’s word that free agent first basemen Adam LaRoche is seeking a three-year deal worth $31.5 million. Is it just me, or is demanding $10.5 million a year oddly specific? I get this image of LaRoche sitting on a bus in the minors, riding from town-to-town in the Carolina league, wishing that, one day, he’d make $10.5 million. What plans did he have for that extra $500,000? That’s between Adam and his dreams, my friends. Between Adam and his dreams.
Anyway, that seems rich for a guy who puts together a solid half-season every year and nothing more. Maybe I’d pay him $31.5 million for a six year deal that specifies he only play after the All-Star break or something, but unless he’s figured out the key to waking up before July, I can’t see going that large with him. There are a lot of first base platoon options floating around right now that can get you close to what LaRoche gives you for less than that kind of money.
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 0
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 21
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 53
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)