Bay and the Sox had a deal in place last summer

Dec 14, 2009, 10:30 AM EDT

So reports Tony Massarotti in the Globe over the weekend.  Apparently it was derailed by health concerns on the part of the Sox’ medical staff. Specifically, the part of the medical staff — Mike Reinold — who was just promoted to head trainer, which may be part of what is firming up the Sox’ resolve against giving Bay any more than the four years, $60 million they’ve offered.

As of now, the Sox aren’t budging and Bay is “ready to move on.”

If I’m the Sox I let him.  For as good as he is right now, I can’t see the percentage in paying him eight figures in 2014.  Let the Mets take that gamble.

1. Jeff - Dec 14, 2009 at 11:01 AM

On the other hand, there aren’t a lot of other better players available. As a Yankee fan, I enjoy this because I don’t see the Sox ponying up the dough for Holliday. If they don’t go with either of them, there isn’t an elite bat available. Right now that lineup isn’t scaring anybody.
    Of course the Red Sox have crazy depth in the minors that they can trade from, so who knows what they end up getting for LF…..

2. Jamie - Dec 14, 2009 at 11:34 AM

…but there will be better players available as soon as next year, and I’m sure the Sox would hate to miss out on them because they’re paying Jason Bay $18 mil a year to play baseball’s most replaceable position.

3. Evan - Dec 14, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Bay was pretty big for the Sox last year. The problem with going after free agents in NY and Boston is that some free agents, despite their talent, can’t handle the NYC/Boston media. When you find someone who can handle the spotlight AND play at a high level, you hold on to them. Letting Bay go is a mistake.

4. BC - Dec 14, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Eight figures for a guy who will strike out 160 times and is the streakiest hitter since Jack Clark? See ya. And no, the Mets should not sign him either.

5. Jeff - Dec 14, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Absolutely Jamie. I don’t think that the Red Sox should pay Bay what he wants just because they need a power-hitting LF. But as a Yankee fan, I’m definitely not sad to see him go in the short term. Of course I’d love an aging Bay getting paid $18million to be clogging up their DH spot in a couple of years….
    Even if it’s one year hiatus where the Red Sox lineup is not very scary, that’s good enough for me!

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3252)