Dec 14, 2009, 11:52 AM EDT
General manager John Mozeliak has repeatedly said that the Cardinals are comfortable going with 26-year-old prospect David Freese as their Opening Day third baseman, so he can’t be too happy with this news from the weekend:
David Freese was arrested in St. Louis County early Saturday morning on suspicion of driving while intoxicated, Maryland Heights police confirmed Sunday. … Freese’s arrest represents the fourth known alcohol-related incident involving the franchise since March 2007. It is also the second vehicle-related incident involving Freese this year.
The Lafayette High alum suffered serious injuries to both feet last January when his car skidded off an ice-slicked road as he was en route to a charity bowling event. The incident cost Freese a chance to make the major-league club in spring training and eventually required surgery on his left foot.
Mozeliak commented that the Cardinals “are extremely disappointed upon hearing this,” but it’s tough to imagine the arrest really hurting Freese’s chance of claiming a starting job given that manager Tony La Russa was arrested for driving under the influence a couple years ago. Of course, La Russa is a Hall of Fame manager and Freese will be 27 years old in April despite not yet even establishing himself as a big leaguer. In other words Freese may want to stay off the road for a while.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 16
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 4
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 50
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)