Dec 14, 2009, 2:56 PM EDT
Yesterday general manager Brian Cashman “cut off a question about not having a designated hitter” and insisted that “Juan Miranda can be a DH,” which is noteworthy following this afternoon’s news that Hideki Matsui is close to signing with the Angels.
“I don’t want to over-sell anybody, but I think Juan Miranda will do a nice job against right-handed pitching if that’s what we have to do,” Cashman said. “Is that the right way to go? I think the market will dictate that.”
I’d certainly bet against the Yankees trusting a 27-year-old, largely unknown career minor leaguer as their primary DH, but regardless of the likelihood could Miranda actually do the job? He’s hit .280/.366/.474 in three minor-league seasons, including .288/.375/.476 in 221 games at Triple-A, which while solid certainly doesn’t suggest outstanding production in the majors.
Based on those numbers Baseball Think Factory projects Miranda to hit just .246/.317/.391 in 2010. Cashman noted that the Yankees would platoon Miranda, which would certainly benefit the left-handed hitter and make him likely to top that projection, but his track record just doesn’t show enough power or plate discipline to believe that he should be a legitimate DH option for a team like New York.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 34
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)