Dec 14, 2009, 2:56 PM EST
Yesterday general manager Brian Cashman “cut off a question about not having a designated hitter” and insisted that “Juan Miranda can be a DH,” which is noteworthy following this afternoon’s news that Hideki Matsui is close to signing with the Angels.
“I don’t want to over-sell anybody, but I think Juan Miranda will do a nice job against right-handed pitching if that’s what we have to do,” Cashman said. “Is that the right way to go? I think the market will dictate that.”
I’d certainly bet against the Yankees trusting a 27-year-old, largely unknown career minor leaguer as their primary DH, but regardless of the likelihood could Miranda actually do the job? He’s hit .280/.366/.474 in three minor-league seasons, including .288/.375/.476 in 221 games at Triple-A, which while solid certainly doesn’t suggest outstanding production in the majors.
Based on those numbers Baseball Think Factory projects Miranda to hit just .246/.317/.391 in 2010. Cashman noted that the Yankees would platoon Miranda, which would certainly benefit the left-handed hitter and make him likely to top that projection, but his track record just doesn’t show enough power or plate discipline to believe that he should be a legitimate DH option for a team like New York.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 2
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 18
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 15
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 144
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)