Matsui, Angels agree on 1-year deal

Dec 14, 2009, 7:46 PM EDT

Craig noted earlier that the Angels were in “serious discussions” with World Series MVP Hideki Matsui.

It turns out that the serious discussions will result in a serious relationship, as the New York Times reports that the sides have agreed on a one-year deal that will be announced as soon as Matsui passes his physical.

Matsui decided to take the Angels’ offer rather than wait and see if the Yankees would bring him back. It was probably a wise move by Matsui, because while the Yankees never closed the door to his return, they have been very wary of making a commitment. Matsui will receive $6.5 million from the Angels, according to ESPN’s Buster Olney.

This isn’t going to bother the Yankees at all. They clearly prefer Johnny Damon to Matsui, and with Curtis Granderson added to the mix that already included Nick Swisher, Melky Cabrera, Brett Gardner (if he isn’t traded), and probably Damon, Matsui was smart enough to see the writing on the wall.

As for the Angels, it looks like they’ve found an OF/DH replacement for Vladimir Guerrero. Matsui is no spring chicken – he’s actually about eight months older than Guerrero. But he did manage 28 home runs last year, and with Guerrero seemingly aging faster than the Thanksgiving leftovers still sitting in my fridge, they must like Matsui’s upside better in a short-term deal.

Follow me on Twitter at @bharks. For more baseball news, go to NBCSports.com.

1. frank alongi - Dec 15, 2009 at 7:55 AM

I couldn’t have said it better, a clutch player and classy person. He will truly be missed

2. Diego - Dec 15, 2009 at 9:54 AM

Yanks beware, he’s gone to one of your greater rivals.

3. Diego - Dec 15, 2009 at 9:59 AM

He may not necessarily be missed when he makes his presence known when playing against the Yanks.

4. Old Gator - Dec 15, 2009 at 10:06 AM

“Jay, if you look at comment 2, you’ll see that it had been corrected. Know the facts before you open your mouth. People like you are what’s wrong with America today. Moron.”
    Hey! Are you calling my pal Jay a Republican???
    Now as for the Borg, let’s see – they want to let a DH with 28-ding power and an amazing predisposition to hit in the clutch go because he can’t run, and hang on to a DH with practically no pop left in his bat, is a streak hitter whose performance over 162 games graphs like the EEG of a dissociative schizophrenic, who runs like he’s mounted on caterpillar treads and can’t throw a ball from moderately deep center to a shortstop standing in short center without bouncing it? Sounds like the dilithium crystals in Cashman’s head are running down to me, folks.

5. Don - Dec 15, 2009 at 10:49 AM

this is directed to Ron
    Piece of meat? Ron, you are clearly an A-Hole. You wouldn’t recognize a true professional with the highest of skill levels if it hit you smack in the face. You probably couldn’t make it with a classy professional hooker if you had a fist full of fifties.
    As I said, you really are some kind of A-Hole.

6. YANKEES1996 - Dec 15, 2009 at 12:25 PM

All I have to say is Goodbye Godzilla, Thank You for your contributions and I wish you nothing but success. Except when you play the Yanks then I hope you go 0-4.

7. Angelika Scharbrough - Dec 31, 2009 at 12:45 AM

Didn’t realize that until I’ve read this post. Very interesting indeed. Can I contact you for more details? ——– You might think I’m crazy but I am bonkers for wall mounted fans.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3460)