Dec 14, 2009, 4:00 PM EDT
Jon Heyman reports that the rumored three-way trade in which the Phillies get Roy Halladay and ship out Cliff Lee has come to pass, with Lee going to the Mariners.
The Phillies landing Halladay is not the biggest surprise. He’s been rumored to be going there for a while. The Lee piece of this equation, however, was totally unexpected. The only person who had even suggested it before today was FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, who wrote up the scenario over the weekend, not so much as a news report, but as a hypothetical deal. I and many other so-called experts called it a crazy idea. And it is a crazy idea. It just now has the benefit of having happened. If I had to guess, I’d say that someone gave Rosenthal a tip over the weekend, but told him that he couldn’t report about it until today. That happens sometimes.
The latest on the deal: Heyman says that Halladay and the Phillies will likely reach a contract extension soon, but that it’s not likely to be announced today.
We’ll have a more in-depth analysis of the trade later today. As for now, one word: Wow.
12/14/09 3:18 p.m.
The Philadelphia Inquirer’s sports blog reports that “Roy Halladay and his agent have checked into a Philadelphia-area hotel.”
Man, I hope it’s to talk to the Phillies about an extension in advance of a trade from the Blue Jays as opposed to say, the two of them having an affair or something. Because that would be awkward. It would still be a hell of a scoop for the Inquirer, but it would be awkward.
UPDATE: 710 ESPN in Seattle is following up on the Rosenthal thing suggesting that this could be part of a three team trade between the Jays, Phillies and Mariners, which is where Cliff Lee would go.
Why The Phillies would pass up a year of a cheap Cliff Lee combined with Roy Halladay and a clear shot at the NL Pennant is beyond me. They have the chips to get Halladay now if they want him.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 41
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 35
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 87
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)