Dec 14, 2009, 4:00 PM EST
Jon Heyman reports that the rumored three-way trade in which the Phillies get Roy Halladay and ship out Cliff Lee has come to pass, with Lee going to the Mariners.
The Phillies landing Halladay is not the biggest surprise. He’s been rumored to be going there for a while. The Lee piece of this equation, however, was totally unexpected. The only person who had even suggested it before today was FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, who wrote up the scenario over the weekend, not so much as a news report, but as a hypothetical deal. I and many other so-called experts called it a crazy idea. And it is a crazy idea. It just now has the benefit of having happened. If I had to guess, I’d say that someone gave Rosenthal a tip over the weekend, but told him that he couldn’t report about it until today. That happens sometimes.
The latest on the deal: Heyman says that Halladay and the Phillies will likely reach a contract extension soon, but that it’s not likely to be announced today.
We’ll have a more in-depth analysis of the trade later today. As for now, one word: Wow.
12/14/09 3:18 p.m.
The Philadelphia Inquirer’s sports blog reports that “Roy Halladay and his agent have checked into a Philadelphia-area hotel.”
Man, I hope it’s to talk to the Phillies about an extension in advance of a trade from the Blue Jays as opposed to say, the two of them having an affair or something. Because that would be awkward. It would still be a hell of a scoop for the Inquirer, but it would be awkward.
UPDATE: 710 ESPN in Seattle is following up on the Rosenthal thing suggesting that this could be part of a three team trade between the Jays, Phillies and Mariners, which is where Cliff Lee would go.
Why The Phillies would pass up a year of a cheap Cliff Lee combined with Roy Halladay and a clear shot at the NL Pennant is beyond me. They have the chips to get Halladay now if they want him.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)