BREAKING: Monster three-way trade: Halladay to Philly, Lee to Seattle

Dec 14, 2009, 4:00 PM EDT

Jon Heyman reports that the rumored three-way trade in which the Phillies get Roy Halladay and ship out Cliff Lee has come to pass, with Lee going to the Mariners.

The Phillies landing Halladay is not the biggest surprise. He’s been rumored to be going there for a while. The Lee piece of this equation, however, was totally unexpected.  The only person who had even suggested it before today was FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, who wrote up the scenario over the weekend, not so much as a news report, but as a hypothetical deal.  I and many other so-called experts called it a crazy idea.  And it is a crazy idea. It just now has the benefit of having happened. If I had to guess, I’d say that someone gave Rosenthal a tip over the weekend, but told him that he couldn’t report about it until today.  That happens sometimes.

The latest on the deal: Heyman says that Halladay and the Phillies will likely reach a contract extension soon, but that it’s not likely to be announced today.

We’ll have a more in-depth analysis of the trade later today.  As for now, one word:  Wow.

12/14/09 3:18 p.m.

The Philadelphia Inquirer’s sports blog reports that “Roy Halladay and his agent have checked into a Philadelphia-area hotel.”

Man, I hope it’s to talk to the Phillies about an extension in advance of a trade from the Blue Jays as opposed to say, the two of them having an affair or something. Because that would be awkward.  It would still be a hell of a scoop for the Inquirer, but it would be awkward.

UPDATE: 710 ESPN in Seattle is following up on the Rosenthal thing suggesting that this could be part of a three team trade between the Jays, Phillies and Mariners, which is where Cliff Lee would go.

1. Jeff - Dec 14, 2009 at 3:11 PM

First openly gay, active player would be a rather huge story. Probably bigger than him going to Philly to play baseball…. especially with Halladay being such a good and well-respected player.

2. Simon DelMonte - Dec 14, 2009 at 3:26 PM

They WHAT now? Trade Lee for Halladay? What would be the point in that?
    Not that, as a Mets fan, I wouldn’t be a bit relieved that Lee and Halladay aren’t on the same team in Philly. But seriously, where is the logic in basically swapping aces with minor leaguers as dressing? Does Philly think it can pay Halladay less than Lee? Or is Kyle Drabek really that good?

3. Rueben Amaro - Dec 14, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Kill the rumors for Godsakes! We’re all shacked up in here. I knew we should have gotten a suite, but Bud wants us to cut spending. Where’s the damn pizza? Oww, oww, Doc, they were right about you being a stud!
    BTW, I’ve changed my first name to Rueben to better reflect my sandwich choices.

4. mick-7-1961 - Dec 14, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Ok, who do these Philadelphia Phillies think they are/
    The New York Yankees? :>)

5. scatterbrian - Dec 14, 2009 at 4:28 PM

“Why The Phillies would pass up a year of a cheap Cliff Lee combined with Roy Halladay and a clear shot at the NL Pennant is beyond me. They have the chips to get Halladay now if they want him.”
    I’m not sure I understand. The Phillies didn’t have what the Jays wanted last year to get Halladay, so they went after Lee instead. How is it they have the chips now?

6. Craig Calcaterra - Dec 14, 2009 at 4:31 PM

They had what the Jays wanted. They just wouldn’t give it up (Drabek, mostly). If they want Halladay alone now, they could make a package out of Drabek.
    I think the three-team deal is not driven by what Toronto wants from Philly as much as it is about the Phils preferring to go long on Halladay as opposed to Lee, which they’d have to do to keep him beyond next year.

7. lar @ wezen-ball - Dec 14, 2009 at 4:47 PM

(i used this joke over on Twitter but, goshdarnit, I’m gonna use it again here)
    So, without any details on whose getting whom exactly, it’s time for a little speculation: Philly gets Halladay and a case of Canadian maple syrup, Seattle gets Lee and a Santa-hat full of batteries, and Toronto gets a 500,000 fan drop in attendance and $20 million less in revenue. Sound about right?

8. Brady - Dec 14, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Why would they trade Lee? Dumb move. Get rid of Hamels if anything.

9. Joe - Dec 14, 2009 at 5:00 PM

Jeff, if I’m not mistaken, Halladay’s a married mormon father. Gay?

10. Inquiring Mind - Dec 14, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Do we know whether his agent is a man or a woman??

11. scatterbrian - Dec 14, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Thanks Craig. They did have the chips all along, but their willingness to deal them changed.

12. dcfan-1212450 - Dec 14, 2009 at 5:09 PM

I agree with most of you. Cliff Lee is an ace, and a 1 2 punch of Lee and Halladay would be brutal. I am sure they are trying to push Cole Hammels instead, and maybe the Mariners wouldn’t budge. If the Phillies to get Halladay and have to give up Lee, expect a huge payroll increase for probably the same production…

13. s/k - Dec 14, 2009 at 5:09 PM

the phillies are phenominal

14. AJ Gallo - Dec 14, 2009 at 5:13 PM

I must confess, I’m confused as hell. Without knowing what are the chips that have been exchanged, it would seem that the Phils did nothing more than exchange a 31-year old ace for a 32-year old ace, but for more money. At first blush, it seems like nothing more than a horizontal move. On the other hand, however, it’s now crystal clear that the Mariners are loading up big style. The more appropriate question would be: whom do the Mariners think they are? The Yankees?

15. scatterbrian - Dec 14, 2009 at 5:18 PM

“Halladay’s a married mormon father.”
    That’s neat, but none of those are disqualifiers for being gay.

16. Largebill - Dec 14, 2009 at 5:41 PM

Actually, all three should be disqualifiers.

17. BCTF - Dec 14, 2009 at 5:47 PM

Kind of like being a Catholic Priest

18. summerof67 - Dec 14, 2009 at 6:07 PM

Seriously, I think there is a legitimate question as to whether Hallady is a National League pitcher. Can he survive with a lower strike zone? Phillies are about to find out, I guess.

19. geek - Dec 14, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Over time it has been rare where a great pitcher works out on a new team. Yes there have been some, but more times than not pitchers do not adjust well to new teams.

20. Ronkonkoma Chet - Dec 14, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Phillies get Halladay, Boston gets Lackey and the Mets get….. drum roll please… tada.. NO-ONE. Wait, maybe we’ll be blessed and get a 35 year old catcher. AWESOME, now we’re the team to beat. Last season was the end of a 15 year, 10 games/season run for me. I’d rather travel to Boston to watch a team that really tries to improve.

21. Ronkonkoma Chet - Dec 14, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Phillies get Halladay, Boston gets Lackey and the Mets get…. drum roll please…tada… NO ONE!!!! Oh wait we may get a 35 year old catcher. Now we’re the team to beat. Last season was the last of 15 plus years of 10+ games /yr. at Shea/ Citifield. Gonna go to Boston, they make real efforts on trying to win.

22. Old Gator - Dec 14, 2009 at 7:39 PM

There are precedents for Lon Gislanders turning apostate. Didn’t Ted Williams have a duck farm on the North Fork somewhere?

23. who - Dec 14, 2009 at 7:43 PM

like who? clemens, sabathia, lee, schilling, beckett, santana? these guys have done alright.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (3972)