Dec 14, 2009, 4:00 PM EDT
Jon Heyman reports that the rumored three-way trade in which the Phillies get Roy Halladay and ship out Cliff Lee has come to pass, with Lee going to the Mariners.
The Phillies landing Halladay is not the biggest surprise. He’s been rumored to be going there for a while. The Lee piece of this equation, however, was totally unexpected. The only person who had even suggested it before today was FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, who wrote up the scenario over the weekend, not so much as a news report, but as a hypothetical deal. I and many other so-called experts called it a crazy idea. And it is a crazy idea. It just now has the benefit of having happened. If I had to guess, I’d say that someone gave Rosenthal a tip over the weekend, but told him that he couldn’t report about it until today. That happens sometimes.
The latest on the deal: Heyman says that Halladay and the Phillies will likely reach a contract extension soon, but that it’s not likely to be announced today.
We’ll have a more in-depth analysis of the trade later today. As for now, one word: Wow.
12/14/09 3:18 p.m.
The Philadelphia Inquirer’s sports blog reports that “Roy Halladay and his agent have checked into a Philadelphia-area hotel.”
Man, I hope it’s to talk to the Phillies about an extension in advance of a trade from the Blue Jays as opposed to say, the two of them having an affair or something. Because that would be awkward. It would still be a hell of a scoop for the Inquirer, but it would be awkward.
UPDATE: 710 ESPN in Seattle is following up on the Rosenthal thing suggesting that this could be part of a three team trade between the Jays, Phillies and Mariners, which is where Cliff Lee would go.
Why The Phillies would pass up a year of a cheap Cliff Lee combined with Roy Halladay and a clear shot at the NL Pennant is beyond me. They have the chips to get Halladay now if they want him.
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 16
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 38
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 35
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)