Dec 14, 2009, 11:29 AM EST
Great story about Johan Santana’s annual trip to his hometown in the remote mountains of Venezuela, where he spreads holiday cheer:
He lives in Florida in the off-season, but late every year, he returns to Tovar, bearing gifts by the truckload. He
organizes the Cy Youngazo, or the Great Cy Young, where he hands out
Christmas presents to children and organizes local soccer and baseball
tournaments . . . During
this year’s event, young boys stood slack-jawed and old men whistled
their appreciation as he walked by. He was continually stopped by
people either asking for autographs or just wanting to shake his hand.
He also watches out for would-be kidnappers. He has a full security detail for him and his family, and the former director of Venezuela’s anti-kidnapping police unit, who now works for Venezuela’s professional baseball league, was on hand too.
My first impulse when I hear about Venezuelan players having their families kidnapped is to ask why any of these guys ever go back. Then you read something like this piece about Johan Santana’s annual trip home, and you wonder how any of them can stay away.
Oh, and by the way: Santana says his elbow is “100 percent recovered” and he’s ready for spring training.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)