Dec 14, 2009, 2:31 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Angels are in serious discussions with Hideki Matsui about supplanting Vladimir Guerrero as their designated hitter, a source familiar with the team’s thinking told ESPN.com.
I can only hope that those “serious discussions” are taking place in a fortified compound, capable of withstanding the onslaught that is the Japanese media. Wait, “onslaught” is not the right word, because it implies violence or something. Those guys are impossibly polite. Anyone with a good one-word description for a phenomenon that is omnipresent and unrelenting, yet technically benign, please put it in the comments.
UPDATE: Buster tweets that the deal would be $6.5 million for one year. My initial reaction: Great deal for the Angels.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 27
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 57
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)