Dec 14, 2009, 2:31 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Angels are in serious discussions with Hideki Matsui about supplanting Vladimir Guerrero as their designated hitter, a source familiar with the team’s thinking told ESPN.com.
I can only hope that those “serious discussions” are taking place in a fortified compound, capable of withstanding the onslaught that is the Japanese media. Wait, “onslaught” is not the right word, because it implies violence or something. Those guys are impossibly polite. Anyone with a good one-word description for a phenomenon that is omnipresent and unrelenting, yet technically benign, please put it in the comments.
UPDATE: Buster tweets that the deal would be $6.5 million for one year. My initial reaction: Great deal for the Angels.
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 7
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 81
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 59
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (81)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)