Dec 14, 2009, 2:31 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Angels are in serious discussions with Hideki Matsui about supplanting Vladimir Guerrero as their designated hitter, a source familiar with the team’s thinking told ESPN.com.
I can only hope that those “serious discussions” are taking place in a fortified compound, capable of withstanding the onslaught that is the Japanese media. Wait, “onslaught” is not the right word, because it implies violence or something. Those guys are impossibly polite. Anyone with a good one-word description for a phenomenon that is omnipresent and unrelenting, yet technically benign, please put it in the comments.
UPDATE: Buster tweets that the deal would be $6.5 million for one year. My initial reaction: Great deal for the Angels.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (148)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)