Dec 14, 2009, 2:31 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Angels are in serious discussions with Hideki Matsui about supplanting Vladimir Guerrero as their designated hitter, a source familiar with the team’s thinking told ESPN.com.
I can only hope that those “serious discussions” are taking place in a fortified compound, capable of withstanding the onslaught that is the Japanese media. Wait, “onslaught” is not the right word, because it implies violence or something. Those guys are impossibly polite. Anyone with a good one-word description for a phenomenon that is omnipresent and unrelenting, yet technically benign, please put it in the comments.
UPDATE: Buster tweets that the deal would be $6.5 million for one year. My initial reaction: Great deal for the Angels.
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 38
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 40
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 6
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)