Report: The Red Sox have made an offer to Aroldis Chapman

Dec 14, 2009, 12:15 PM EDT

Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus reports that the Red Sox have made an offer to fireballing Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman. The deal: a $15.5 million dollar package that includes a major league deal.

As of this morning, Chapman was scheduled to audition for a number of teams tomorrow. One wonders if the offer is contingent on Chapman canceling the workout.

UPDATE: Apparently ESPN’s Jorge Arangure reported this on Friday. I’ll link to his tweet promoting his report, but I can’t find his report anywhere on ESPN’s baseball front page.  Note to ESPN: you have some good people working for you. Based on the few minutes I spent having a beer with him last week in Indy, I’ll count Jorge as one of them. Do them a favor and promote their stuff, OK?

1. Arendella - Dec 14, 2009 at 12:27 PM

This would be a good move for the Red Sox, if it works out. As this kid can throw well and in a short time would be ready for the major leagues. Fianly a ++ for Boston this off S.

2. Cru11 - Dec 14, 2009 at 3:09 PM

Please tell me how in the hell this would be a good move? Have you read anything about this Chapman fellow? Yeah, I know the kid can throw high 90’s from the left side but he doesnt have ANY secondary pitches or control. Have you seen the competition he’s thrown against? They’re 20 year olds that are nowhere near professional caliber. And another scary statistic is his 5.6 BB per 9 innings. May I add he pitched in Cuba where the strike zone is substantially bigger than here in the U.S. 15.5 million sounds like an awful lot to give to a kid so he can develop a SECONDARY pitch and learn to some control. Again, tell me how this is a good move.

3. Arendell - Dec 14, 2009 at 4:08 PM

First this kid can pictch. I have watched him do it in the WBC . He also knows he need a year or so in the minors to finish off getting his off speed pitches so that he can conistantly get out major leaguers.
    Yes this is a big over pay to get him. BUT there are only so many people this gifted as a left hander. That is may not be wrong to get them when ay can.

4. SmellyJoe - Dec 15, 2009 at 11:46 PM

It’s crazy to throw the amount of money for this kid. I just hope he is not going to be another Dwight Goodman. Find local pc support reviews.

5. Robby Lamas - Feb 19, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Very interesting read. Thanks.

Can Nationals run the playoff table?
  1. D. Jeter (3358)