Dec 14, 2009, 10:00 AM EDT
McGowan was pretty awesome in 2007 and 2008, winning 14 games with a 3.62 ERA and 169 strikeouts in 32 starts. Then there were concerns of overuse, then there was shoulder surgery.
Last summer J.P. Ricciardi said that McGowan’s rehab had hit some bumps and that his career was in jeopardy. Either McGowan’s actual prognosis has improved or the Jays are not being run by excitable people who struggle at the most basic of public relations tasks like Ricciardi did. Not that those things are mutually-exclusive.
The Jays likewise announced that they’ve reached terms with Jose Bautista for one year, $2.4 million. He’s a part-timer and maybe not worth that money, but he’s not worth too much less than that and the Blue Jays like him.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)