Dec 14, 2009, 8:28 AM EDT
First it was Mike Lowell’s thumb, and now Max Ramirez’s wrists are getting closer scrutiny reports Rob Bradford of WEEI. That and “at least one other issue unrelated to either player’s physical condition,” are holding up the deal. If I had to guess I’d say that the “other issue” is the Commissioner’s office, which usually has to sign off on any deals where a lot of cash is changing hands like we have here. Whatever the case, Pete Abraham quotes the Red Sox’ assistant GM Ben Cherington as saying “It would not be a complete surprise if it didn’t happen,” meaning the whole damn deal.
Wow. How awkward would it be for the Lowell and the Red Sox if the thing fell through? “Hey Mike, we’re happy to have you back! What? Oh, that thing about us paying nearly $10 million to make you go away? Hey, let’s let bygones be bygones!”
UPDATE: Gammons tweets that Lowell may need surgery. If that’s the case, this deal goes from mostly dead to dead.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)