Dec 14, 2009, 8:28 AM EDT
First it was Mike Lowell’s thumb, and now Max Ramirez’s wrists are getting closer scrutiny reports Rob Bradford of WEEI. That and “at least one other issue unrelated to either player’s physical condition,” are holding up the deal. If I had to guess I’d say that the “other issue” is the Commissioner’s office, which usually has to sign off on any deals where a lot of cash is changing hands like we have here. Whatever the case, Pete Abraham quotes the Red Sox’ assistant GM Ben Cherington as saying “It would not be a complete surprise if it didn’t happen,” meaning the whole damn deal.
Wow. How awkward would it be for the Lowell and the Red Sox if the thing fell through? “Hey Mike, we’re happy to have you back! What? Oh, that thing about us paying nearly $10 million to make you go away? Hey, let’s let bygones be bygones!”
UPDATE: Gammons tweets that Lowell may need surgery. If that’s the case, this deal goes from mostly dead to dead.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17