Dec 14, 2009, 8:28 AM EDT
First it was Mike Lowell’s thumb, and now Max Ramirez’s wrists are getting closer scrutiny reports Rob Bradford of WEEI. That and “at least one other issue unrelated to either player’s physical condition,” are holding up the deal. If I had to guess I’d say that the “other issue” is the Commissioner’s office, which usually has to sign off on any deals where a lot of cash is changing hands like we have here. Whatever the case, Pete Abraham quotes the Red Sox’ assistant GM Ben Cherington as saying “It would not be a complete surprise if it didn’t happen,” meaning the whole damn deal.
Wow. How awkward would it be for the Lowell and the Red Sox if the thing fell through? “Hey Mike, we’re happy to have you back! What? Oh, that thing about us paying nearly $10 million to make you go away? Hey, let’s let bygones be bygones!”
UPDATE: Gammons tweets that Lowell may need surgery. If that’s the case, this deal goes from mostly dead to dead.
- Orioles finally lose a game when leading after seven 0
- Joey Votto reaches base six times as Reds rout Phillies 9
- Troy Tulowitzki says he wasn’t accusing Madison Bumgarner of cheating 6
- Quote of the Day: Brian Cashman is keeping Ben Francisco around to “piss everybody off” 28
- Report: Mets considering demoting Ike Davis 5
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3