Dec 14, 2009, 8:28 AM EDT
First it was Mike Lowell’s thumb, and now Max Ramirez’s wrists are getting closer scrutiny reports Rob Bradford of WEEI. That and “at least one other issue unrelated to either player’s physical condition,” are holding up the deal. If I had to guess I’d say that the “other issue” is the Commissioner’s office, which usually has to sign off on any deals where a lot of cash is changing hands like we have here. Whatever the case, Pete Abraham quotes the Red Sox’ assistant GM Ben Cherington as saying “It would not be a complete surprise if it didn’t happen,” meaning the whole damn deal.
Wow. How awkward would it be for the Lowell and the Red Sox if the thing fell through? “Hey Mike, we’re happy to have you back! What? Oh, that thing about us paying nearly $10 million to make you go away? Hey, let’s let bygones be bygones!”
UPDATE: Gammons tweets that Lowell may need surgery. If that’s the case, this deal goes from mostly dead to dead.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 35
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 16
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 61
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29