Dec 15, 2009, 4:20 PM EDT
Aroldis Chapman had his big workout this morning. Scouts from 15 teams showed up to watch him pitch two five-minute bullpen sessions. According to Jorge Arangure, he threw in the 92-93 mph range for the most part and and topped out at 96.
The Twittersphere is complaining about his velocity this afternoon, but it’s probably worth noting that (a) the much repeated “100 mph” stuff about Chapman is based on a single radar reading from the WBC and could have been a fluke; (b) Chapman is still a lanky 21, and could easily add some velocity once he is farther into a workout regime superior to that he saw in Cuba; and (c) even if he tops out at 96 mph for the rest of his career, that would make him the hardest throwing lefty starter in the majors.
No, the real question isn’t the gun, it’s the control. No word from Arangure about that, though it’s probably hard to really gauge control in a bullpen session. He’s being referred to this afternoon as “a tremendous talent.” Someone in that same article compared him to Brien Taylor. I think it was meant as a compliment, but jeez, Brien Taylor? FanHouse’s Ed Price heard from someone who was there who said “he’s got the package.” I’m not sure what that means and wonder if the person who said that really does either. Everyone talked about his arm, but we all knew he had a good arm. The question is whether he can pitch.
The next question is if any of the teams in attendance — which included the Yankees, Orioles, Reds, Nats, Royals, Phillies, Cubs, Rangers, Mariners, Red Sox, Astros, Angels, Marlins and Pirates — are going to top the Sox’ offer of $15.5 million.
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 11
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 14
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 26
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 23
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (99)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)