Dec 15, 2009, 12:50 PM EDT
As if the massive three-team trade wasn’t intriguing enough already, ESPN.com’s Buster Olney reports that the Blue Jays are acquiring prospect Michael Taylor from the Phillies in order to flip him to the A’s for fellow prospect Brett Wallace. Seriously.
Oakland got Wallace from St. Louis in the midseason Matt Holliday trade and seemingly viewed the 2008 first-round pick a long-term building block, but his defense at third base has been questioned and so far at least his bat has been good rather than great in the minors. Based on raw numbers at least Taylor has actually out-hit Wallace and also projects as a strong defensive corner outfielder with good speed.
Both players are among baseball’s top hitting prospects and should be ready for the majors at some point in 2010, but apparently the Blue Jays like Wallace’s bat at third or first base more than Taylor’s bat/glove/speed combo in the outfield. I’m a bigger believer in Taylor long term, but the gap isn’t huge and Toronto has more of a need for a corner infielder with Adam Lind and Travis Snider around to patrol the outfield corners.
Betting on Wallace or Taylor is a very interesting and not-so-little “challenge trade” piggy-backing onto what is essentially the gigantic challenge trade of Philadelphia choosing Roy Halladay over Cliff Lee. And this three-team (or maybe four-team now) trade has officially reached “insane” status.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)