Dec 15, 2009, 6:20 PM EDT
I feel like have devoted more time to Matt Capps in the past three days than I have to my family. He’s my white whale. Anyway, to review the bidding:
- The Pirates said they would tender him a contract;
- The Pirates blamed media reports that they might non-tender Capps as the reason why they couldn’t trade him. But, you know, they did non-tender the guy, so it’s not like the media boned them or anything.
- After non-tendering him, which is the universal signal for “we don’t value you” — teams start lining up to talk to Capps’ agent.
- Jerry Crasnick reports that, as of today, there are 16 teams in that line, rendering the Pirates’ moves with respect to the reliever all the sillier. Dejan says that the interest in Capps is “enormous.” Especially silly: Crasnick also reports that one of the teams interested in him is . . . the Pittsburgh Pirates!
If the Pirates didn’t want him, they could have and should have traded him earlier, because there’s obviously a lot of interest in the guy. And in light of that interest, maybe the Pirates miscalculated on the whole “want” part of that equation to begin with.
Of course, now that they’re in on the guy again, who knows what motives that team.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 6
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 25
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 18
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)