Dec 15, 2009, 6:20 PM EDT
I feel like have devoted more time to Matt Capps in the past three days than I have to my family. He’s my white whale. Anyway, to review the bidding:
- The Pirates said they would tender him a contract;
- The Pirates blamed media reports that they might non-tender Capps as the reason why they couldn’t trade him. But, you know, they did non-tender the guy, so it’s not like the media boned them or anything.
- After non-tendering him, which is the universal signal for “we don’t value you” – teams start lining up to talk to Capps’ agent.
- Jerry Crasnick reports that, as of today, there are 16 teams in that line, rendering the Pirates’ moves with respect to the reliever all the sillier. Dejan says that the interest in Capps is “enormous.” Especially silly: Crasnick also reports that one of the teams interested in him is . . . the Pittsburgh Pirates!
If the Pirates didn’t want him, they could have and should have traded him earlier, because there’s obviously a lot of interest in the guy. And in light of that interest, maybe the Pirates miscalculated on the whole “want” part of that equation to begin with.
Of course, now that they’re in on the guy again, who knows what motives that team.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)