Dec 15, 2009, 6:20 PM EDT
I feel like have devoted more time to Matt Capps in the past three days than I have to my family. He’s my white whale. Anyway, to review the bidding:
- The Pirates said they would tender him a contract;
- The Pirates blamed media reports that they might non-tender Capps as the reason why they couldn’t trade him. But, you know, they did non-tender the guy, so it’s not like the media boned them or anything.
- After non-tendering him, which is the universal signal for “we don’t value you” – teams start lining up to talk to Capps’ agent.
- Jerry Crasnick reports that, as of today, there are 16 teams in that line, rendering the Pirates’ moves with respect to the reliever all the sillier. Dejan says that the interest in Capps is “enormous.” Especially silly: Crasnick also reports that one of the teams interested in him is . . . the Pittsburgh Pirates!
If the Pirates didn’t want him, they could have and should have traded him earlier, because there’s obviously a lot of interest in the guy. And in light of that interest, maybe the Pirates miscalculated on the whole “want” part of that equation to begin with.
Of course, now that they’re in on the guy again, who knows what motives that team.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)