Dec 15, 2009, 6:20 PM EST
I feel like have devoted more time to Matt Capps in the past three days than I have to my family. He’s my white whale. Anyway, to review the bidding:
- The Pirates said they would tender him a contract;
- The Pirates blamed media reports that they might non-tender Capps as the reason why they couldn’t trade him. But, you know, they did non-tender the guy, so it’s not like the media boned them or anything.
- After non-tendering him, which is the universal signal for “we don’t value you” – teams start lining up to talk to Capps’ agent.
- Jerry Crasnick reports that, as of today, there are 16 teams in that line, rendering the Pirates’ moves with respect to the reliever all the sillier. Dejan says that the interest in Capps is “enormous.” Especially silly: Crasnick also reports that one of the teams interested in him is . . . the Pittsburgh Pirates!
If the Pirates didn’t want him, they could have and should have traded him earlier, because there’s obviously a lot of interest in the guy. And in light of that interest, maybe the Pirates miscalculated on the whole “want” part of that equation to begin with.
Of course, now that they’re in on the guy again, who knows what motives that team.
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 12
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 40
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15