Dec 15, 2009, 10:59 AM EDT
They thought he was untradable with that contract of his, but Ned Colletti pulled it off. Tim Brown of Yahoo! tweets:
White Sox acquire Juan Pierre for two minor league pitchers. Dodgers pick up about half of remaining salary.
More than anyone Pierre has taken abuse by people for his contract — and he’ll make $18.5 million over the next two years, which is frankly crazy. But having a bad contract and being a bad player is not the same thing, even if a lot of people forget that sometimes. Pierre is useful, and having him for under $5 million per after the Dodgers eat half of it is not a bad deal for the White Sox.
UPDATE: Ken Rosenthal has the tweet of the day out of all of this: “White Sox now have A. Jones AND Pierre! Who’s next, Manny?”
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)