Dec 15, 2009, 10:59 AM EST
They thought he was untradable with that contract of his, but Ned Colletti pulled it off. Tim Brown of Yahoo! tweets:
White Sox acquire Juan Pierre for two minor league pitchers. Dodgers pick up about half of remaining salary.
More than anyone Pierre has taken abuse by people for his contract — and he’ll make $18.5 million over the next two years, which is frankly crazy. But having a bad contract and being a bad player is not the same thing, even if a lot of people forget that sometimes. Pierre is useful, and having him for under $5 million per after the Dodgers eat half of it is not a bad deal for the White Sox.
UPDATE: Ken Rosenthal has the tweet of the day out of all of this: “White Sox now have A. Jones AND Pierre! Who’s next, Manny?”
- Highlights from the Robinson Cano news conference 20
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 31
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 40
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 63
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 28
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (131)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)