Dec 15, 2009, 10:59 AM EDT
They thought he was untradable with that contract of his, but Ned Colletti pulled it off. Tim Brown of Yahoo! tweets:
White Sox acquire Juan Pierre for two minor league pitchers. Dodgers pick up about half of remaining salary.
More than anyone Pierre has taken abuse by people for his contract — and he’ll make $18.5 million over the next two years, which is frankly crazy. But having a bad contract and being a bad player is not the same thing, even if a lot of people forget that sometimes. Pierre is useful, and having him for under $5 million per after the Dodgers eat half of it is not a bad deal for the White Sox.
UPDATE: Ken Rosenthal has the tweet of the day out of all of this: “White Sox now have A. Jones AND Pierre! Who’s next, Manny?”
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 26
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 21
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (99)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)