Dec 15, 2009, 11:30 AM EST
Frank McCourt filed documents yesterday accusing his wife Jamie of falsely representing herself as one of the Dodgers’ owners in a trip to Taiwan last week. During the trip, Jamie and her driver/boyfriend presented Taiwanese officials with Dodgers swag and passed out business cards with the Dodgers’ logo on them and everything.
This totally ticked off Bud Selig, who sent Frank the written equivalent of Rocco Lampone telling Fredo that if he can’t handle his drunk wife, Michael says he has to. The letter was attached to McCourt’s filing. If the request is not heeded, I presume that someone will take McCourt out fishing on Lake Tahoe as this drama draws to a close.
In any event, this is nice and ugly now, and that may depress Dodgers fans, but it may also bring all of this to a head sooner rather than later. In his filing Frank asks the court to accelerate the determination of team ownership, which most had figured wouldn’t be resolved before next summer at the absolute earliest. If the court buys what Frank is selling — and, really, Jamie seems way out of line here — it could be wrapped up before Opening Day, which would be a very good thing for the team.
UPDATE: The judge has set the trial to determine ownership of the Dodgers to commence on May 24th. That’s not opening day, but it is relatively soon given how these sorts of battles typically go.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 67
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)