Dec 15, 2009, 11:30 AM EDT
Frank McCourt filed documents yesterday accusing his wife Jamie of falsely representing herself as one of the Dodgers’ owners in a trip to Taiwan last week. During the trip, Jamie and her driver/boyfriend presented Taiwanese officials with Dodgers swag and passed out business cards with the Dodgers’ logo on them and everything.
This totally ticked off Bud Selig, who sent Frank the written equivalent of Rocco Lampone telling Fredo that if he can’t handle his drunk wife, Michael says he has to. The letter was attached to McCourt’s filing. If the request is not heeded, I presume that someone will take McCourt out fishing on Lake Tahoe as this drama draws to a close.
In any event, this is nice and ugly now, and that may depress Dodgers fans, but it may also bring all of this to a head sooner rather than later. In his filing Frank asks the court to accelerate the determination of team ownership, which most had figured wouldn’t be resolved before next summer at the absolute earliest. If the court buys what Frank is selling — and, really, Jamie seems way out of line here — it could be wrapped up before Opening Day, which would be a very good thing for the team.
UPDATE: The judge has set the trial to determine ownership of the Dodgers to commence on May 24th. That’s not opening day, but it is relatively soon given how these sorts of battles typically go.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 16
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 45
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 91
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)