Dec 15, 2009, 11:30 AM EDT
Frank McCourt filed documents yesterday accusing his wife Jamie of falsely representing herself as one of the Dodgers’ owners in a trip to Taiwan last week. During the trip, Jamie and her driver/boyfriend presented Taiwanese officials with Dodgers swag and passed out business cards with the Dodgers’ logo on them and everything.
This totally ticked off Bud Selig, who sent Frank the written equivalent of Rocco Lampone telling Fredo that if he can’t handle his drunk wife, Michael says he has to. The letter was attached to McCourt’s filing. If the request is not heeded, I presume that someone will take McCourt out fishing on Lake Tahoe as this drama draws to a close.
In any event, this is nice and ugly now, and that may depress Dodgers fans, but it may also bring all of this to a head sooner rather than later. In his filing Frank asks the court to accelerate the determination of team ownership, which most had figured wouldn’t be resolved before next summer at the absolute earliest. If the court buys what Frank is selling — and, really, Jamie seems way out of line here — it could be wrapped up before Opening Day, which would be a very good thing for the team.
UPDATE: The judge has set the trial to determine ownership of the Dodgers to commence on May 24th. That’s not opening day, but it is relatively soon given how these sorts of battles typically go.
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 4
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 59
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 110
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (110)