Dec 15, 2009, 11:30 AM EDT
Frank McCourt filed documents yesterday accusing his wife Jamie of falsely representing herself as one of the Dodgers’ owners in a trip to Taiwan last week. During the trip, Jamie and her driver/boyfriend presented Taiwanese officials with Dodgers swag and passed out business cards with the Dodgers’ logo on them and everything.
This totally ticked off Bud Selig, who sent Frank the written equivalent of Rocco Lampone telling Fredo that if he can’t handle his drunk wife, Michael says he has to. The letter was attached to McCourt’s filing. If the request is not heeded, I presume that someone will take McCourt out fishing on Lake Tahoe as this drama draws to a close.
In any event, this is nice and ugly now, and that may depress Dodgers fans, but it may also bring all of this to a head sooner rather than later. In his filing Frank asks the court to accelerate the determination of team ownership, which most had figured wouldn’t be resolved before next summer at the absolute earliest. If the court buys what Frank is selling — and, really, Jamie seems way out of line here — it could be wrapped up before Opening Day, which would be a very good thing for the team.
UPDATE: The judge has set the trial to determine ownership of the Dodgers to commence on May 24th. That’s not opening day, but it is relatively soon given how these sorts of battles typically go.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 46
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 49
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 64
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)