Dec 15, 2009, 11:30 AM EST
Frank McCourt filed documents yesterday accusing his wife Jamie of falsely representing herself as one of the Dodgers’ owners in a trip to Taiwan last week. During the trip, Jamie and her driver/boyfriend presented Taiwanese officials with Dodgers swag and passed out business cards with the Dodgers’ logo on them and everything.
This totally ticked off Bud Selig, who sent Frank the written equivalent of Rocco Lampone telling Fredo that if he can’t handle his drunk wife, Michael says he has to. The letter was attached to McCourt’s filing. If the request is not heeded, I presume that someone will take McCourt out fishing on Lake Tahoe as this drama draws to a close.
In any event, this is nice and ugly now, and that may depress Dodgers fans, but it may also bring all of this to a head sooner rather than later. In his filing Frank asks the court to accelerate the determination of team ownership, which most had figured wouldn’t be resolved before next summer at the absolute earliest. If the court buys what Frank is selling — and, really, Jamie seems way out of line here — it could be wrapped up before Opening Day, which would be a very good thing for the team.
UPDATE: The judge has set the trial to determine ownership of the Dodgers to commence on May 24th. That’s not opening day, but it is relatively soon given how these sorts of battles typically go.
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 0
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 76
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (76)