Dec 15, 2009, 9:30 AM EST
ESPN’s Jorge Arangure tweets that, while nothing is imminent, the Mets, Phillies and Orioles are “in on” Fernando Rodney.
Rodney likely wants to close as opposed to serving as someone’s setup man, which makes Baltimore and Philly better options than New York, where K-Rod has the gig. Of course, if he thinks of himself as a Closer with a capital “C” he likely wants more money than a team like Baltimore should be paying for any single bullpen arm. A winning team, like coffee, is for closers. A team that’s likely to lose around 90 games doesn’t really need one.
As for Philly: haven’t their fans had enough bullpen-induced heart attacks already? Sure, Rodney did well last year, but he continued to be all over the place control-wise. If a butterfly flaps his wings in South America, Rodney could go from the single blown save he had last year to numbers that are positively Lidgean.
Rodney has great gas, and he’s worth a spot in someone’s pen, but I wouldn’t anoint him my ninth inning man, nor would I pay him the dollars that usually goes with that title.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 26
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)