Dec 15, 2009, 10:29 AM EDT
Tom Hicks has been told by Major League Baseball that he needs to pick the winning bidder in the Rangers’ sale today and to commence negotiations to finalize a deal. No doubt today was picked as the deadline so that everyone can be free to celebrate my daughter’s sixth birthday later this evening.
Hicks may or may not meet that deadline the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports a source saying that it’s only 50-50 that he’ll pick today — but there is a clear front runner, at least on financial terms. It’s Houston businessman Jim Crane, whose bid is said to be higher than either Pittsburgh lawyer Chuck Greenberg’s or former agent Dennis Gilbert’s.
The article notes, however, that Crane is not a popular figure in MLB circles because he once reneged on a deal to buy the Astros. Also working against him is the fact that Gilbert is said to be a favorite of Jerry Reinsdorf, which automatically makes him a favorite of Bud Selig’s. They’re a clannish bunch, those owners, and they like to reward their friends.
The lawyer and Tom Hicks-hater in me wants a low bid to win because if that happens maybe some investor in Hicks Sports Group will sue Hicks for breaching his fiduciary duties to the debt-addled company, which in turn will better expose the rampant cronyism that takes place in the franchise sale market. Plus, if Glibert wins, there are indications that hey’ll be baseball’s answer to Daniel Snyder, and that would be great fun for everyone except Rangers’ fans.
Likely? Nah. But a boy can dream, can’t he?
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)