What they're saying about the Lee-Halladay deal

Dec 15, 2009, 9:00 AM EDT

Taking the pulse of the blogosphere on Lee-Halladay:

• Big League Stew:  “It’s Jack Zduriencik’s world and all other GMs are just living in it.”
  • U.S.S. Mariner: “I just have to say that this is so amazingly awesome, I’m still trying to figure out how on earth this is actually happening.”
  • Crashburn Alley: “GM Ruben Amaro is clearly trying to position the Phillies for future
    success beyond 2010, for which you certainly cannot fault him. However,
    trading Lee and prospect(s) for Halladay and cash is essentially a
    lateral move for 2010, the team’s best shot at winning another World
    Series.”
  • Bluebird Banter: “At the moment it looks like the Jays are going to get Kyle Drabek, Michael Taylor and Travis D’Arnaud for Doc and $6,000,000 . . . If we get these 3, the Phillies number 2,3 and 4 prospects I’d be
    thrilled and I’d nominate Alex Anthopoulos GM of the year, even if the
    year hasn’t started yet. It would be pretty amazing to get 3 prospects
    like this without having any leverage at all.”
  • Amazin’ Avenue: “The Mets are going to get murdered by the ravenous Bill Madden-led New York
    press for sitting idly by while the Phillies acquire arguably the
    games’ best pitcher. Some Mets fans are going to wave the white flag.”
  • Lookout Landing: “I’m going to go ahead and think about this one for a little while. Good gravy. My hands are shaking in the same way they were back when we trade for Vidro, only this time I think they’re excited.”
  • The Good Phight: “If you want to know what’s wrong with the internet, journalism, and
    sports, here’s exhibit 1 with a bullet.  Jon Heyman, Jayson Stark, Ken
    Rosenthal, Todd Zolecki, Andy Martino, etc. — none of them can look
    like he’s lagging behind the others.  So they report what they’ve heard
    rather than what they’ve found out to be true . . .And we buy it hook, line, and sinker.”

There’s obviously a ton of commentary floating around out there right now, but I think my favorite so far is Was Watching’s take. Leave it to Yankees fans to view a deal that has absolutely nothing to do with their team through pinstriped colored glasses.

1. John_Michael - Dec 15, 2009 at 9:14 AM

edit: It is unfortunate that we will not get Doc Halladay.
    That’s better.

2. Joe - Dec 15, 2009 at 9:30 AM

I’m surprised you didn’t find a Red Sox blog with a similar take. Then again, the Sox had other stuff happening yesterday.

3. YankeesfanLen - Dec 15, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Craig, I guess you have us pegged. I was only thinking “Hey, plus 2 wins without Halladay in AL East, Lackey no effect, we can out hit Lee three times, sounds cool”
    Already have blue eyes, just need pinstiped contacts.

4. NYguy - Dec 15, 2009 at 9:41 AM

“Leave it to Yankees fans to view a deal that has absolutely nothing to do with their team through pinstriped colored glasses.”
    Yes, and if you want fair, objective, and unbiased reporting, then don’t stop here. I wonder if Mr. Zogby draws conclusions from all his polls based upon interviewing one person. Perhaps he is a liar and a thief. Only the myopic sports journalist can tell.

5. Lawrence From Plattekill - Dec 15, 2009 at 10:08 AM

And when you posted “All in all, a pretty crappy day for the Yankees. The Sox get Lackey, the Angels get Matsui, the Phillies get Halladay, and A-Rod loses his muse,” what glasses were you looking through?
    If the Halladay deal had nothing to do with the Yankees, how did you happen to make the connection?

6. Craig Calcaterra - Dec 15, 2009 at 10:09 AM

At least two of the items in my litany dealt with Yankees players.

7. John Pileggi - Dec 15, 2009 at 10:26 AM

It will, as the old adage goes, be years before we know who got the better of this deal. For Mariners, Lee, in combination with the free agent signings, may make them a contender, but can they sign him? Blue Jays get out from a problem and get prospects that may be blue chip. Phils get a great pitcher, plus some prospects, but lose an elite lefty, no small thing. Still, in the free agent era, you do not get many of these kinds of trades anymore, and it is fun, interesting and exciting!

8. Jason @ IIATMS - Dec 15, 2009 at 10:37 AM

My fellow Yanks fans, Craig’s baiting you. Let’s see if I have the formula right:
    1) Insult Yanks
    2) Insult Yanks fans
    3) Watch the pageviews and comments roll in
    Makes sense to me.

9. Craig Calcaterra - Dec 15, 2009 at 10:38 AM

Shhhh!! That’s supposed to be a secret!

10. Remy - Dec 15, 2009 at 10:44 AM

1.If the Phillies get back to the Series in 2010 and win, they win the trade;
    2. If the Mariners make the playoffs in 2010, they win the trade;
    3. if the Blue Jays come close to a playoff spot in 2013/14/15 due to the players they get, the Blue Jays win the trade.
    Ideally, all three happen and everyone wins. Kudos to Anthopolus, who is apparently the architect of all this. Not bad for a rookie, whatever his role really was.

11. JudyJ - Dec 15, 2009 at 10:44 AM

Well for all of the Philly fans who say they live on homegrown talent – LOL! Anyway, Cliff Lee is really an American League pitcher who knows the difference between NL and AL. So, why else would he want to go to the Mariners to live out his last contract before free agency? Guess – Pinstripes?

12. Lawrence From Plattekill - Dec 15, 2009 at 10:56 AM

But you put in the Halladay deal, too, so there must have been a connection. In fact, there is a connection–the Yankees had been rumored to be talking about Halladay, too. So why shouldn’t a Yankee blog say that the Yankees aren’t going to get him?
    Of course, I’m only on your case because I’m one of the legion of Yankee robotic fan-spies who continuously search the internet looking for negative comments about the Yankees and then flood the blogs with pro-Yankee hatred, to intimidate the media into not criticizing the Yankees. It’s sort of a Stepford Wives thing.

13. Darryl from Minor League Baseball - Dec 15, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Craig,
    Great meeting you in Indy last week. Keep up the good work.

14. Craig Calcaterra - Dec 15, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Good meeting you too, Darryl. Much appreciated were your “Oh, it’s Craig? words at the check-in booth. I have a feeling your buddy wasn’t gonna let me in to the trade show . . .;-)

15. Jonny5 - Dec 15, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Typical loser Yankee fan comment. Fit the mold. There are plenty of teams with pinstripes Judy. But you only have eyes for one.:>P

16. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Dec 15, 2009 at 1:16 PM

How’s that 2009 WS Trophy doing for the Phillies… oh wait, I forgot you guys didn’t win ;) Hopefully see you guys next year. You’ll love Halladay with his 2 hour complete games throwing 80 something pitches. The guy is amazing.

17. Jonny5 - Dec 15, 2009 at 3:37 PM

LOL!!! I in no way meant Yankees fans are losers, it’s just that they have the highest percentage of them in the world, over all other MLB teams. HA!!! Nice cut up though…… When are people going to realize that other teams have pinstripes too???? Anyway, I look forward to watching Halladay in red pinstripes, as I’m sure he does as well. I mean we all knew he would rather be a Phillie than a Yankee. He hasn’t gone to the dark side, the force is strong with this one… (enter star wars sound track). Hope to see a rematch COPO!!!!

18. Joe Girardi - Dec 15, 2009 at 8:25 PM

Yeah, but everyone knows when a player says “I always wanted to wear pinstripes” just what they mean: NYY

19. JudyJ - Dec 16, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Yup. How did you know which one anyway?

20. JudyJ - Dec 16, 2009 at 3:19 PM

I can’t imagine the outrage from everyone if the Yankees had signed Halladay – that would be too much for even me. Who would the competition be? I am quite happy that he went to the Phillies – because he is no longer here to bother the American League. And, in the National League he will outshine just about anyone anywhere. I am happy – still sporting the WS Winner “glow”.

21. CD Rates - Jan 7, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Lennar Corp. said Thursday that orders for new homes increased for the first time in more than three years as homebuyers took advantage of lower prices and a federal tax credit.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5335)