Dec 16, 2009, 12:51 PM EDT
Boston signing John Lackey and Mike Cameron has Bill Center of the San Diego Union Tribune thinking that the Red Sox are preparing to make another run at Adrian Gonzalez.
And sure enough FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal wrote this morning that they’re “working hard to obtain” the Padres first baseman.
Center tosses out Jacoby Ellsbury, Clay Buchholz, and Daniel Bard as obvious Padres targets, while Rosenthal mentions Casey Kelly and Ryan Westmoreland as other fits if the Red Sox haven’t made them untouchable.
Of course, Center writes that “at the moment the Padres and Red Sox are not talking” and Rosenthal admits that “a deal is not close and might not happen at all.” San Diego is under no real pressure to deal Gonzalez, because he’s a 27-year-old, MVP-caliber player under contract for just $4.75 million in 2010 and $5.5 million in 2011. Obviously dealing Gonzalez would jump-start the Padres’ rebuilding efforts, but he’s young enough that they could also try to rebuild around him.
The presence of Kevin Youkilis and now Mike Cameron give the Red Sox lots of defensive flexibility, because Youkilis can play either corner infield spot and Cameron is willing to be a starter anywhere in the outfield. All of which is why the Red Sox could potentially part with Ellsbury in a deal for Gonzalez or forget the whole thing and simply sign Adrian Beltre.
- Nationals place Stephen Strasburg on the 15-day disabled list with neck tightness 2
- Jerry Dior, designer of MLB’s iconic logo, has passed away 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 114
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 16
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 77
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (114)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (85)
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit (77)