Dec 16, 2009, 12:51 PM EST
Boston signing John Lackey and Mike Cameron has Bill Center of the San Diego Union Tribune thinking that the Red Sox are preparing to make another run at Adrian Gonzalez.
And sure enough FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal wrote this morning that they’re “working hard to obtain” the Padres first baseman.
Center tosses out Jacoby Ellsbury, Clay Buchholz, and Daniel Bard as obvious Padres targets, while Rosenthal mentions Casey Kelly and Ryan Westmoreland as other fits if the Red Sox haven’t made them untouchable.
Of course, Center writes that “at the moment the Padres and Red Sox are not talking” and Rosenthal admits that “a deal is not close and might not happen at all.” San Diego is under no real pressure to deal Gonzalez, because he’s a 27-year-old, MVP-caliber player under contract for just $4.75 million in 2010 and $5.5 million in 2011. Obviously dealing Gonzalez would jump-start the Padres’ rebuilding efforts, but he’s young enough that they could also try to rebuild around him.
The presence of Kevin Youkilis and now Mike Cameron give the Red Sox lots of defensive flexibility, because Youkilis can play either corner infield spot and Cameron is willing to be a starter anywhere in the outfield. All of which is why the Red Sox could potentially part with Ellsbury in a deal for Gonzalez or forget the whole thing and simply sign Adrian Beltre.
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 1
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 50
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 41
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 117
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)