Dec 16, 2009, 11:50 AM EDT
Mike Cameron is meeting the Boston media any second now and Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald sheds some light on his contract details and likely role with the Red Sox.
According to Silverman …
* Cameron has limited no-trade protection as part of his two-year, $15.5 million deal, which further shows that the Red Sox “have softened their anti-no-trade clause stance the past few years” with J.D. Drew, Mike Lowell, Daisuke Matsuzaka, and now Cameron.
* Despite some speculation that he could be used as a platoon player against left-handed pitching Cameron was signed to be an everyday starter. However, where he plays in the outfield is not set in stone and “he will play whatever position he’s asked to play, with manager Terry Francona making the call.”
* During his 15-year career Cameron has played 14,416 innings in center field compared to just 826 innings in right field and 3.2 innings in left field, but Silverman speculates that he could be used in left field if Jacoby Ellsbury isn’t traded and could be used occasionally in right field when Drew sits against lefties.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (248)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)