Dec 16, 2009, 11:50 AM EDT
Mike Cameron is meeting the Boston media any second now and Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald sheds some light on his contract details and likely role with the Red Sox.
According to Silverman …
* Cameron has limited no-trade protection as part of his two-year, $15.5 million deal, which further shows that the Red Sox “have softened their anti-no-trade clause stance the past few years” with J.D. Drew, Mike Lowell, Daisuke Matsuzaka, and now Cameron.
* Despite some speculation that he could be used as a platoon player against left-handed pitching Cameron was signed to be an everyday starter. However, where he plays in the outfield is not set in stone and “he will play whatever position he’s asked to play, with manager Terry Francona making the call.”
* During his 15-year career Cameron has played 14,416 innings in center field compared to just 826 innings in right field and 3.2 innings in left field, but Silverman speculates that he could be used in left field if Jacoby Ellsbury isn’t traded and could be used occasionally in right field when Drew sits against lefties.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)