Dec 16, 2009, 11:50 AM EST
Mike Cameron is meeting the Boston media any second now and Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald sheds some light on his contract details and likely role with the Red Sox.
According to Silverman …
* Cameron has limited no-trade protection as part of his two-year, $15.5 million deal, which further shows that the Red Sox “have softened their anti-no-trade clause stance the past few years” with J.D. Drew, Mike Lowell, Daisuke Matsuzaka, and now Cameron.
* Despite some speculation that he could be used as a platoon player against left-handed pitching Cameron was signed to be an everyday starter. However, where he plays in the outfield is not set in stone and “he will play whatever position he’s asked to play, with manager Terry Francona making the call.”
* During his 15-year career Cameron has played 14,416 innings in center field compared to just 826 innings in right field and 3.2 innings in left field, but Silverman speculates that he could be used in left field if Jacoby Ellsbury isn’t traded and could be used occasionally in right field when Drew sits against lefties.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 2
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 43
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (92)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)