Dec 16, 2009, 11:50 AM EST
Mike Cameron is meeting the Boston media any second now and Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald sheds some light on his contract details and likely role with the Red Sox.
According to Silverman …
* Cameron has limited no-trade protection as part of his two-year, $15.5 million deal, which further shows that the Red Sox “have softened their anti-no-trade clause stance the past few years” with J.D. Drew, Mike Lowell, Daisuke Matsuzaka, and now Cameron.
* Despite some speculation that he could be used as a platoon player against left-handed pitching Cameron was signed to be an everyday starter. However, where he plays in the outfield is not set in stone and “he will play whatever position he’s asked to play, with manager Terry Francona making the call.”
* During his 15-year career Cameron has played 14,416 innings in center field compared to just 826 innings in right field and 3.2 innings in left field, but Silverman speculates that he could be used in left field if Jacoby Ellsbury isn’t traded and could be used occasionally in right field when Drew sits against lefties.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (118)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)