Johnny Damon: "I can't wait forever"

Dec 16, 2009, 2:20 PM EDT

On the New York Yankees, that is:

“I am going to start looking around. Teams are getting better and there
are teams interested. I can’t wait
forever and I am sure [the Yankees] are trying to figure things out. I
have to be ready . . . Matt Holliday, the stuff on him is starting to pick up. And wherever Bay doesn’t end up will open a
door for me.”

This sounds an awful lot like my kids when they threaten to run away from home. “I’m really goin’, you watch . . . I’m walkin’ to the door . . .I’m puttin’ my hand on the handle . . . I’m turnin’ the handle . . . I’m about to run away . . . here I go . . .”

My kids always come back and eat their vegetables. Johnny Damon will come back and take his two year deal. I let my kids douse the veggies in ranch dressing to make it more palatable. I suppose the Yankees will build in some elaborate vesting option to do the same for Damon. But really: my kids ultimately have to do what I say, and Damon ultimately wants to stay in New York. The Yankees and I have all the cards in our respective transactions.

1. gio - Dec 16, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Go Johnny Go PLEASE!!!

2. AJ Gallo - Dec 16, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Craig, bingo. You’re on the money with your take on this. The Granderson deal gave the Yanks the necessary leverage to be able to deal with that dirtbag Scott Boras. I’m sure Damon has 2 years left in those bones, but he’s not gonna get more than that from the Yanks. In fact, he’s lucky the Yankees aren’t pushing for a 1-year deal. I’d like to have Damon back, but not for more than 2 years.

3. YANKEES1996 - Dec 16, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Johnny, The Bronx Bombers want you back as badly as you want to stay, but you have to get Scott Boras under control. Once you have done that and take a good look at your situation you should be able to understand that a 2 year deal is as good as you are going to get, so take it and lets move on.

4. chaspeek - Dec 16, 2009 at 3:02 PM

You’re a jerk Craig! Just like that bum from Mn who lives in his mother’s basement…fat #$%

5. TigerS Boy ToY - Dec 16, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Craig, if you threatened to run away I your kids would let you.

6. Craig Calcaterra - Dec 16, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Chas: You should know that Aaron owns his own home and therefore has his own basement. Get your facts right.

7. Mike Silver - Dec 16, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Hilarious post Craig. We miss you at THT.

8. Chaspeek - Dec 16, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Craig,
    As a Twins fan I read Aaron faithfully; however, present yourself as who you are! Don’t present yourself as a slob! Your (Aaron’s)work and comments are well worth looking forward to…and if I don’t know he has his own basement, that’s because of what he dangles….live with it honey.

9. TigerS Boy ToY - Dec 16, 2009 at 3:40 PM

JOHNNY DAMON HAS BEEN DRINKING TOO MUCH SCOTT BORAS KOOL AID.
    BUH BYE

10. mick-7-1961 - Dec 16, 2009 at 4:26 PM

What in the world are you two talking about???

11. Jason @ IIATMS - Dec 16, 2009 at 4:30 PM

***awkward silence when realizing what you chose as your “name” here.

12. Bob Timmermann - Dec 16, 2009 at 4:55 PM

I can’t wait forever
    Even though you want me to
    Time won’t let me…
    Time won’t let me…
    Time won’t let me…ee..ee ….

13. mockcarr - Dec 16, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Once the Holliday is over, and the Bay window is opened…Johnny will still be kinda older than those guys.

14. JE - Dec 16, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Good luck with the new full-time gig, Craig!

15. Jimmy - Dec 16, 2009 at 6:34 PM

He is a baby, but he can still rake, especially with the short porch in right. Although if they do bring him back it should be for an incentive heavy contract that can get him from $10 million a year to the $13 million he wants. Otherwise I worry about him dogging it a bit because he does act like a spoiled child.

16. riscifiguy - Dec 16, 2009 at 11:05 PM

Johnny, old friend ( red sox fan here)
    remember Tek last year in Boston
    and what Bore-ass did to/for him?
    Fire the parasite and maybe start a trend!

17. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Dec 17, 2009 at 8:56 AM

Yes it was Boras’s fault, and not the fact that Varitek’s hitting has fallen completely off the table, that he didn’t get a long term contract that he wanted. Varitek’s OPS+ for the last 4 seasons: 83, 103, 73, 80.

18. Jake The Rake - Dec 18, 2009 at 3:29 PM

Dear Johnny Damon,
    I am a lifelong Yankee fan. You are my favorite active player. Before you it was Don Mattingly, and before him Reggie Jackson.
    I want you back, at any cost. That being said…
    You are obviously rich as hell already. Do you know how many people would kill to be in your shoes? Playing for the Yankees? Winning the World Series? Being a king in the greatest city on earth?
    Take the two years and $20mil. You’ll make it up in free dinners and drinks in NYC for the rest of your life.
    Sincerely,
    Your biggest fan
    ps your agent is a greedy jackass. and those are his good points.

19. KAD - Dec 21, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Damon cannot catch any ball near the wall and cannot throw worth a damn. Let him go.

20. SHOE LIFTS - Jan 29, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Being shorter is not a crime, if everybody else around you is taller, it is obvious you would desire to become taller as well.

21. Bernarda Guilfoos - Feb 3, 2010 at 5:39 AM

Hello there, super post, I really enjoyed reading this. the post gave me the momentum to try my own post, please check out my post by clicking my name at the top of this post, thanks

22. Johnathon Cellupica - Feb 3, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Hi, superb post, I truly enjoyed reading it. This blog gave me the kick to attempt my own article, please check my blog by clicking my name at the top of this article, thanks

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4475)