Dec 16, 2009, 6:00 PM EST
Missed this the other day, but the excellent Field of Schemes blog reports that Oakland Mayor Ron Dellums has suggested using federal stimulus funds to help build a ballpark for the A’s:
The City of Oakland would not spend any public money on constructing a
new ballpark in Jack London Square for the Oakland A’s, but would
assemble land and provide infrastructure and parking for the stadium,
Mayor Ron Dellums said at a City Hall press conference this afternoon.
Dellums and city staffers said the city would use redevelopment funds
to acquire property, and not the city’s debt-ridden general fund, and
hoped to obtain more federal stimulus money for infrastructure if the
project goes forward.
I agree with FoS’s view of this: great, in that putting people to work is what stimulus funds are designed to do, but man, you’d hope that such funds would be used for something a little more public, as opposed to building a playground for Lew Wolff and his real estate developer friends.
Probably no need to worry, though. I can’t see Oakland happening for the A’s. It’s going to be San Jose or bust.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 48
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 40
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 117
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)