Dec 16, 2009, 6:00 PM EDT
Missed this the other day, but the excellent Field of Schemes blog reports that Oakland Mayor Ron Dellums has suggested using federal stimulus funds to help build a ballpark for the A’s:
The City of Oakland would not spend any public money on constructing a
new ballpark in Jack London Square for the Oakland A’s, but would
assemble land and provide infrastructure and parking for the stadium,
Mayor Ron Dellums said at a City Hall press conference this afternoon.
Dellums and city staffers said the city would use redevelopment funds
to acquire property, and not the city’s debt-ridden general fund, and
hoped to obtain more federal stimulus money for infrastructure if the
project goes forward.
I agree with FoS’s view of this: great, in that putting people to work is what stimulus funds are designed to do, but man, you’d hope that such funds would be used for something a little more public, as opposed to building a playground for Lew Wolff and his real estate developer friends.
Probably no need to worry, though. I can’t see Oakland happening for the A’s. It’s going to be San Jose or bust.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 63
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)