Dec 16, 2009, 6:00 PM EDT
Missed this the other day, but the excellent Field of Schemes blog reports that Oakland Mayor Ron Dellums has suggested using federal stimulus funds to help build a ballpark for the A’s:
The City of Oakland would not spend any public money on constructing a
new ballpark in Jack London Square for the Oakland A’s, but would
assemble land and provide infrastructure and parking for the stadium,
Mayor Ron Dellums said at a City Hall press conference this afternoon.
Dellums and city staffers said the city would use redevelopment funds
to acquire property, and not the city’s debt-ridden general fund, and
hoped to obtain more federal stimulus money for infrastructure if the
project goes forward.
I agree with FoS’s view of this: great, in that putting people to work is what stimulus funds are designed to do, but man, you’d hope that such funds would be used for something a little more public, as opposed to building a playground for Lew Wolff and his real estate developer friends.
Probably no need to worry, though. I can’t see Oakland happening for the A’s. It’s going to be San Jose or bust.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 1
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 43
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 16
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 25
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 30
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 18
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 84
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)